PDA

View Full Version : Sportscenter

Clarkmeister
07-21-2004, 01:02 AM
Mike Hall pisses me off for some reason. I am forced to turn off my beloved sportscenter while he is on. Which is a problem since he's on the one that replays in the morning. Couldn't they have stuck him on ESPNews or something?

ThaSaltCracka
07-21-2004, 01:16 AM
he sucks! he won that damn show right?
he isn't even entertaining either...... booooooo!!!!!!!!!

Boris
07-21-2004, 01:24 AM
yea the annoying factor is getting out of control between that mike hall clown and stephen a. smith.

ThaSaltCracka
07-21-2004, 01:26 AM
Steven A. is far more annoying, Mike Hall just sucks. Maybe he'll get better though.

question: who would win in an annoying-catch-phrase-ebonics-yack-off, Steven A. or Stuart? I like Stuart, but damn, sometimes just shut up man!

Sooga
07-21-2004, 01:35 AM
He is definitely annoying right now, but I remember Neil Everett really annoyed me too, when he first got on... but now he's grown on me. I hope it's the same with this Mike Hall guy. He's new, i think he's just trying too hard.

mikeyvegas
07-21-2004, 03:55 AM
How can you not love Stephen A. Smith?

Thats just HORRIBLE! HowEver, I agree with Clark that Mike Hall is not getting the job done. I think Zach would have been a better selection from Dream Job.

Michael Davis
07-21-2004, 08:21 AM
Stephen A. and Bill Walton are my two favorite commentators.

-Michael

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-21-2004, 09:44 AM
I've heard that ESPN is not the greatest organization to work for. which may explain why their biggest talents (Keith Olberman & Craig Kilborn come to mind) leave at the earliest opportunity.

Nobody was better than Kenny Mayne.

ThaSaltCracka
07-21-2004, 10:43 AM
first of all I actually like Walton, simply because he says the most absurd things and he is so convinced he is right. Here is an example, during the 2002 playoffs Walton stated, "Robert Horry is the best entry passer in history". First of all, who cares, its not that damn hard to pass the ball to Shaq, and secondly, how in da [censored] can you even judge something like that? Thats mostly why I like Walton, he is a blowhard who is truely stupid, but he is convinced he isn't stupid.

Steven A. on the other hand is starting to really piss me off. When he was on Fox he was better, but mostly because he was surrounded by idiots, now that he is on ESPN it is apparent he is out of his league. He yells everything and only half of what he says is right, the other half is just opinion. I would much rather listen to David Aldridge than Steven. Watching those NBA post game shows was terrible this year. Greg Anthony sucks, Steven A. sucks, and Bill Lambier sucks!

J.R.
07-21-2004, 10:59 AM
I have heard the exact opposite, and the fact that Kilbourn and Olberman left is indicative of their giant egos (and their more lucrative offers to work in broader, non-sports dominated broadcast mediums). I think Olberman also lived in NY and had some vision problems which limtied his ability to drive so he wanted to stay in the big city v. commuting up to Bristol. In addition, I read an article about Kevin Frasier being very pleased to work for ESPN and different management (as opposed to Fox Sports) when he first came on board.

ThaSaltCracka
07-21-2004, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
which may explain why their biggest talents (Keith Olberman & Craig Kilborn come to mind) leave at the earliest opportunity.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why has Berman stayed with them forever? or Bob Levy(is that the OTL guys name?) ? Linda Cohn(who is pretty damn good)? Gammons?
Olberman and Kilborn were probably the best on Sportscenter, but seeing both do other things makes me wonder why they ever left.... Olbermans MSNBC show is pretty stupid, and Kilborn show is, well probably the sixth best late night show behing Jay, Dave, Conan, John Stewart, and Howard.

nolanfan34
07-21-2004, 11:47 AM
Hall should have had to do what every other Sportscenter anchor has done - get some damn experience in a small market before going to ESPN.

As a broadcasting major, and one time reporter, nothing pisses me off more than seeing someone with NO experience getting an anchor job like this. There are plenty of talented people out there who would kill for that job. If your product is good - and Sportscenter is a good product - you don't need gimmicks to get people to watch.

FWIW I think Hall is doing an OK job, but it still bugs me that he's on there.

If Monday Night Football had really hired Joumanna Kidd as a sideline reporter, as was rumored, you'd really get to hear me rant.

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-21-2004, 11:48 AM
They probably left because the believed they could make more money elswhere, which for Kilborn at least, is true.

nolanfan34
07-21-2004, 11:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've heard that ESPN is not the greatest organization to work for. which may explain why their biggest talents (Keith Olberman & Craig Kilborn come to mind) leave at the earliest opportunity.

Nobody was better than Kenny Mayne.

[/ QUOTE ]

You East coasters would know better, but I have heard from people that worked at ESPN that Bristol is a horrible place to live. Just an armpit of a town, and ESPN is the only thing there really.

Olbermann is apparently a, uh, different dude, and want of his own show was a driving factor in him leaving. I loved watching Kilborn when he was on Sportscenter, but it wasn't surprising that he jumped to the Daily Show, he has a knack for comedy.

At least he did before he left the Daily Show and went to CBS...

ThaSaltCracka
07-21-2004, 11:53 AM
yeah your probably right, although I have heard Olbermann has burned many bridges since his departure from ESPN.

ThaSaltCracka
07-21-2004, 11:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
At least he did before he left the Daily Show and went to CBS...

[/ QUOTE ] Dude what happened to him? You know The Daily Show is actually funnier now that he is gone too......hmmm..... he needs to go back to Sportscenter where he was "en fuego".

nolanfan34
07-21-2004, 12:06 PM
I can remember watching Sportscenter in college, when Kilborn was on, waiting for Washington Bullets highlights to come on. Because his comments when Gheorge Muresan would come on were hysterical.

kerssens
07-21-2004, 12:19 PM
the Sterling Sharpe for Michael Irvin trade kinda backfired IMO, Irvin just yells and provides the standard wardrobe joke target that apparently every football pregame show needs

SossMan
07-21-2004, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You know The Daily Show is actually funnier now that he is gone too.

[/ QUOTE ]

of course its funnier...Jon Stewart is the funniest man alive.

ThaSaltCracka
07-21-2004, 12:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the Sterling Sharpe for Michael Irvin trade kinda backfired IMO, Irvin just yells and provides the standard wardrobe joke target that apparently every football pregame show needs

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah why the hell do all the BDSSP rejects all end up on ESPN. I am sorry but Irvin, Kruk, and Steven A. all suck. Frazeir is pretty good.... maybe thats because he was never on that god for saken show.

andyfox
07-21-2004, 12:55 PM
He talks too fast and too high-pitched and it seems like hard work for him to be cleverly funny. He reminds me a bit of the guy who's won a trillion dollars on Jeopardy.

GuyOnTilt
07-21-2004, 01:00 PM
First thing I thought when I saw the title: "I bet Clark's sick of that stupid SC guy Mike Hall already." I think he sucks too.

GoT

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-21-2004, 01:19 PM
Yeah, but Jennings still has to win 12 more times to break the consecutive game show wins record.

Ulysses
07-21-2004, 02:10 PM
I imagine you guys must all be pretty excited about the upcoming Dream Job 2 (another SC anchor) and Dream Job 3 (play-by-play guy). Heh.

PS - while I'm not a big Mike Hall fan either, I did like Dream Job a lot and if anyone in this thread didn't watch it, you should watch the new season(s).

PPS - Zach from Dream Job is now the commentator on GSN's Extreme Dodgeball. Really.

PPPS - You guys remember when for like two days a year or so ago when they changed the site and the Page2/Page3/etc. tab thing on the ESPN.com front page was a flash animation that didn't have real URL links to let you open up pages in new windows? Boy, that sure did suck.

WEASEL45
07-21-2004, 02:26 PM
Stuart Scott wins the annoying catch phrase contest hands down.

Boo Ya

WEASEL45
07-21-2004, 02:30 PM
what show was that on?

ThaSaltCracka
07-21-2004, 02:42 PM
well he does the boo ya for ray ray, pokie, and all dem, ya know? he makes his moma proud and all the ladies holla. Big ups!

ThaSaltCracka
07-21-2004, 02:43 PM
don't you remember the movie Quiz Show?

WEASEL45
07-21-2004, 02:53 PM
thesaltcracka
you're as cool as the other side of the pillow

ThaSaltCracka
07-21-2004, 02:56 PM
thanks weasel, contrary to what some people think I do have a sense of humor. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

andyfox
07-22-2004, 02:23 AM
I was wondering when someone was going to suggest that.

John Cole
07-22-2004, 06:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
don't you remember the movie Quiz Show?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell, Andy remembers Quiz Show itself.

ThaSaltCracka
07-22-2004, 11:06 AM
I wonder what the ratings will be for this week.....

andyfox
07-22-2004, 11:49 AM
I remember the original quiz show, with King Solomon questioning the two women claiming to be the baby's mother. A real nail-biter.