PDA

View Full Version : Play along with Bad Larrys

DMBFan23
07-21-2004, 12:55 AM
Here's a hand that came up tonight, thought you all might be interested.
Absolute Poker .25/.50, 8 handed. No reads, I was 3-tabling.

Hero is CO with Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero Raises , Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, limpers all call.

8 to the flop for 16 SB.
Flop is 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Checked around to MP2 who bets, Hero... ?

SteveY
07-21-2004, 12:57 AM
raise? You want the button and you can fold some players.
You're also unlikely to face a reraise unless you're against a monster, in which case that your raise will have given you good info.

HajiShirazu
07-21-2004, 01:44 AM
I like raise-the 9d and your queen and jack give you reasonable prospects on the turn. You'd like to eliminate as many as possible to maximize your equity in this large pot and maybe get a free card. The 9d is really the key here though, it doesn't make that much difference, but it does.

DMBFan23
07-21-2004, 08:31 AM
I should have raised the flop. however,

EDIT again to reflect the fact that I did not bribe button /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hero calls, all call except UTG + 1.

(for some reason on this hand with my overcards + backdoors I thought I DIDNT want to lose anyone (I was focusing on the backdoors part and not as much on the overcards part)...I am a fishy calling station...)

7 to the turn for 11.5 big bets

Turn is the 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB Bets, 3 folds, MP3 Calls, Hero... ?

chief444
07-21-2004, 08:43 AM
Call.

Did you slip the button a couple of checks to switch seats during the hand? I thought you were CO. I'll have to try that.

tardigrade
07-21-2004, 10:01 AM
I call with the intention of A) raising the turn if I hit an overcard or B) calling the turn if I hit a backdoor card.

DMBFan23
07-21-2004, 10:02 AM
I'll post this one right away, since there's no call/raise debate (as there was on the flop) IMO...

Hero calls, Button raises, 3 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls

4 to the river for 17.5 BB

river is the J /images/graemlins/heart.gif

MP2 checks, MP3 checks, Hero...?

Sent
07-21-2004, 10:03 AM
Check/call the river

-Sent

tardigrade
07-21-2004, 10:12 AM
Button did the dirty work for you on the turn. Check-call the river if you can. I'd have to consider folding if they made me call 2 bets. 3 and I'm out for sure!

chief444
07-21-2004, 10:15 AM
Check/call. If anyone check/raises then fold.

DMBFan23
07-21-2004, 10:23 AM
sorry, I'm bad at this building suspense thing, and I'm getting quick replys, so thanks everyone...here's the river action

Hero checks, Button bets, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

hand guesses anyone?

tardigrade
07-21-2004, 10:37 AM
I'm not getting clear reads on these hands, but I'll guess MP2 = K9o, MP3 = mid pocket pair, Button = flush. I think you have about a 10% shot of your hand being good.

DMBFan23
07-21-2004, 11:57 AM
here's the way the showing down went (I got to see everyone's hand as I closed the river action, and each person's hand was better than the previous person's)

Button shows 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
MP2 shows K /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
MP3 shows A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif
Hero Shows J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif and MHIG

20+ BB with top pair. I guess those TP good kicker crying calls ARE profitable against fish in the long run. sweet.

my main question in posting the hand was the flop call...I fell pretty confident about PF, the turn was an easy call with my flush draw, and when I had top pair on the river for one bet, I poured one out for Ed Miller as I called.

However, the flop could have been a call, could have been a raise. is raising the better play here?

bdk3clash
07-21-2004, 12:04 PM
Bet the river, and it isn't close. (Sorry if I sound like a broken record.)

tardigrade
07-21-2004, 01:00 PM
Hey ... I got K9 right at least. I've been surprised how many times TPGK holds up in this kind of situation, too ... (thanks, Ed).

I'm still working out how to optimally play this kind of hand in a big pot, but my developing strategy is to generally call the flop and raise the turn (if I have top pair). The turn raise is more effective for getting people out, and the smaller pot makes it easier for both you and others to laydown if necessary. I just haven't seen the flop raise get people out of these pots, and the huge pot generated gets me into a world of trouble on the last two streets when I neither want to continue or laydown and get trapped between aggressive players.

DMBFan23
07-21-2004, 01:24 PM
bdk, do you raise or call the flop?

bdk3clash
07-21-2004, 01:54 PM
Raise. Hopefully the button will fold, and I'll hopefully have the option of taking my free card on the turn.

JudgeRW
07-21-2004, 02:03 PM
I call. Back-door flush, and two overcards.

JudgeRW
07-21-2004, 02:04 PM
I call again, flush draw + the overcards again.