PDA

View Full Version : Boring hand, some semi-bluffing going on.

cold_cash
07-21-2004, 12:49 AM
Regular table. Everyone playing garbage, chasing, etc. Nobody too agressive.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, CO checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, CO checks, Hero checks.

River: (6.25 BB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, CO checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, CO folds.

Final Pot: 8.25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 8.25 BB, between Hero and UTG+1.</font>

Does anyone bet the turn here? Why or why not?

SteveY
07-21-2004, 12:59 AM
I don't. But I also want to hear what others say. :/

kgrad5
07-21-2004, 01:00 AM
the point of the flop bet is to get yourself a free card on the turn if the flush card doesnt come (semibluff) and to get money in the pot if it does come, you can make a case for both checking and betting the turn, if you bet you are hoping everyone else will fold as your hand went from 2-1 against on the flop to 4-1 against after the turn, when there are 4 players in, it is unlikely they will all fold. i like a check with 4 players in as because they will put you on things like middle pair and people might autobet the river and you might get some calls on the river if the flush does hit and if it doesnt hit you can fold safely

cold_cash
07-21-2004, 01:09 AM
I was mostly concerned about being check-raised by anyone who just made a straight, which is why I checked it.

Usually I would bet in this situation, but I think that's been kind of a leak of mine I've been trying to fix.

vulturesrow
07-21-2004, 01:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the point of the flop bet is to get yourself a free card on the turn if the flush card doesnt come (semibluff) and to get money in the pot if it does come

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. You have a monster draw, you are betting your draw for value. This is not a raise for a free card.

Bet the turn for the same reason.

Chris

kgrad5
07-21-2004, 01:16 AM
i think this is incorrect as the odds to hit the flush are worse then 4-1 and there are only 4 callers, i think it would be correct if there were atleast 5 callers, maybe my logic is flawed

cold_cash
07-21-2004, 01:17 AM
Even with this board?

It doesn't seem likely that I would get enough people to call a bet to make it for value, and I think there's a good possibility of a check-raise that I would have to call if anyone's holding a 3.

This is why I posted this hand though, and I'm still listening.

vulturesrow
07-21-2004, 01:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i think this is incorrect as the odds to hit the flush are worse then 4-1 and there are only 4 callers, i think it would be correct if there were atleast 5 callers, maybe my logic is flawed

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont forget your Ace and Ten, those are outs too.

kgrad5
07-21-2004, 01:22 AM
ah, you caught me, totally forgot about the A and 10 heh, yes in that case it is correct to bet here /images/graemlins/wink.gif

vulturesrow
07-21-2004, 01:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ah, you caught me, totally forgot about the A and 10 heh, yes in that case it is correct to bet here /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Also pot odds are not as applicable in this situation. You arent talking about calling. To maximize your EV on this very strong hand you need to get money in the pot.

kgrad5
07-21-2004, 01:27 AM
i disagree with you there, would you bet the turn with an oesd as well? or would you take the free card?

vulturesrow
07-21-2004, 01:28 AM
Yeah it is a scary board. you might get checkraised. That is poker. Dont underestimate the hand you are holding just because the board is scary.

vulturesrow
07-21-2004, 01:29 AM
Most likely, yes. Depends on the quality of the OESD and other outs I may have..

HajiShirazu
07-21-2004, 01:40 AM
This is a situation where I would take the free card on the turn, since you have to call a checkraise, and I don't think you can win without improving.
Also if somebody has a straight and you improve to a flush, they'll probably bet the river and then you can win an easy two bets, possibly from multiple players.

cold_cash
07-21-2004, 01:43 AM
This is pretty much what I was thinking.

vulturesrow
07-21-2004, 06:31 AM
I think this is too passive. If you do get checkraised, you are going to get more money in the pot for when you do hit your flush on the river. That extra bet you lose when you dont hit your flush (assuming you are going to check fold the river) is worth the extra BBs you gain when you hit your flush.

chief444
07-21-2004, 08:02 AM
That's a pretty coordinated board to think you will win with a turn bet and it's unlikely against 3 opponents that your hand wins without improvement. But at the same time you have a nice draw. Is it nice enough to make a turn bet valuable? I doubt it but it's close and there are other advantages. This really depends on your overcard outs and the action following the bet. I agree I'd be considering the possibility of a check/raise here since some low limit players think any made hand should automatically be check/raised. But it's still somewhat unlikely. I'm really about 50/50 on this one. When I'm 50/50 I usually bet because it's fun. Honestly though the check looks fine.

sfer
07-21-2004, 09:27 AM
Me likey checkie.