PDA

View Full Version : Good turn check with top pair?

07-20-2004, 09:08 PM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="666666">5 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, MP3 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (5 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, MP3 checks, Hero checks.

River: (5 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 8 BB, between SB, MP3 and Hero.</font>

Does anyone like this turn check?
I figure I'm way behind a 9 or a straight, however I'm committed to showdown with top pair. By checking, I may induce a bet from a player with a 10 or a weaker pair, and avoid a nasty check-raise from straights and nines.

stoxtrader
07-20-2004, 09:18 PM
I guess the only other line to take would be to bet the turn and fold to a check-raise. that way you get extra bets from a drawing hand, and lose the same amount to a made hand but risk being pushed of the best hand from a checkraise semibluff.

I think I would be the turn and fold to a check-raise.

Ponks
07-20-2004, 09:36 PM
I'd hate to have to fold to a checkraise because they could be raising a KQ, or QJ, you also have the jack outs. I dunno I usually bet this all the time and even call a raise, but perhaps I'm wrong, I've been sucking it up lately /images/graemlins/smile.gif. Maybe this is a check with outs, bet with no outs situation?? Just trying to start some discussion, I think this is a common situation that I mess up.

Ponks

ddubois
07-20-2004, 10:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
check with outs, bet with no outs

[/ QUOTE ]
I keep hearing this line. Can someone explain to me what the heck it's talking about?

bisonbison
07-20-2004, 10:17 PM
If you're likely behind on the turn and have no outs, you can bet and fold more easily to a check-raise. With enough outs, you have to call the raise.

J.R.
07-20-2004, 10:27 PM
however I'm committed to showdown with top pair

why? You raised preflop, bet the flop and bet the turn, so why would you suspect a bluff check-raise here, and what hands which you are behind to on the turn do you have the odds to draw against? There are also a lot of draws that will call one bet on the turn that won't call the river, so you miss value by checking here.

MarkD
07-20-2004, 10:45 PM
I bet this turn. If check raised evaluate your pot odds and derate them because of the open pair and co-ordinated board. Very few people, even on party, will check raise this turn in a 3-way pot without having the goods.