PDA

View Full Version : fold these trips?

mrpurple
07-20-2004, 08:25 PM
MP1 is loose preflop. OK, but straightforward postflop. The Button is a calling station and a non-factor. when MP1 caps the turn I figure has the other 8 which has to be better than mine or a made full house.

I know theres enough money in the pot to call the turn and hope to fill up. But, am i just throwing away the bet on the river?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero bets, MP1 calls, Button calls, SB folds.

Turn: (3.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero bets, MP1 raises, Button calls, Hero 3-bets, MP1 caps, Button calls, Hero calls.

River: (15.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 bets, Button calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 18.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows 8d 3h (three of a kind, eights).
MP1 shows Ad 8h (three of a kind, eights).
Button shows 5s Qd (two pair, queens and eights).
Outcome: MP1 wins 18.50 BB. </font>

J.R.
07-20-2004, 08:50 PM
I know theres enough money in the pot to call the turn and hope to fill up

Shouldn't you be more concerned with whether there is enough in the pot for you to draw to a winning hand (assuming you are behind)?

As to the hand, part of me says 3-bet the turn because button looks like he is on a flush draw and you have trips, but what is MP1 up to? The flop call / turn raise combo seems odd ands sets of a slowplayed warning. If the turn were an A I might be more inclined to beleive he chased overcards on the flop and caught one on the turn, and with a paired flop most won't semi-bluff just a flush draw onthe turn. But all-in all I probably play it the same way against unknowns, but I am not calling the cap on the turn hoping to fill up, but calling because I believe I will have the best hand often enough to invest 2 more bets.

However, given this description of MP1 as "OK, but straightforward postflop", if he really is as straightforward (straightforward = weak/timid at 2-4) and Button could have any old garbage (i.e. doesn't need a flush draw) I might be more inclined to just call it down once raised on the turn.