PDA

View Full Version : Online poker rooms ever go public?

punkass
07-20-2004, 06:39 PM
Just a quick question to a relative stock market newbie...

Will an online poker company ever go public for trading? I would doubt it since one of the reasons a company would go public is to raise capital, and since an online poker site doesn't need much after its initial start, it wouldn't make much sense.

But I wanted someone who knew what they were talking about say it.

adios
07-21-2004, 04:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Will an online poker company ever go public for trading?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it has already happened but the company went belly up.

[ QUOTE ]
I would doubt it since one of the reasons a company would go public is to raise capital, and since an online poker site doesn't need much after its initial start, it wouldn't make much sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another reason to go public is to have the market set a value for a company so that shares that insiders own can be sold. Bill Gates sells stock continuously, at least the last time I looked.

playerfl
07-23-2004, 11:15 AM
another reason to go public is that the public will pay about 3 times what a single large cash buyer will pay for the same company in a private transaction.

BradleyT
07-28-2004, 10:17 AM
CRYP is cryptologic.

digdeep
07-28-2004, 02:47 PM
Going public would make the insiders of a company a lot of money. More money than you or I could imagine. The difficult thing then, is having to be accountable to shareholders, which is a pain in the rear, and many companies don't want to deal with it. They could easily do a reverse merger into an existing shell and trade on the bulletin board. I don't know how much interest there would be if they tried to IPO.

midas
07-28-2004, 03:52 PM
Doubtful they could go public in the U.S. due to legal aspects but nothing would stop them from going public in other countries. They're all foreign companies.