PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Hand... flop bottom set with 88

Avery
07-20-2004, 05:47 PM
Pacific Poker $0.50/$1.00, 10 handed.

Hero is UTG+2 with 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif.

Preflop: UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB checks.

Flop: A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
SB checks, BB checks, UTG bets, Hero raises, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: A/images/graemlins/club.gif
BB checks, UTG bets, Hero raises, MP2 3-bets, BB calls, UTG calls, Hero caps, MP2 calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

River: 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets, MP2 raises, BB folds, UTG calls, Hero 3-bets, MP2 caps, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Results in white below:
<font color="white">
BB shows Ah 7s (three of a kind, aces)
Hero shows 8c 8s (full house, eights over aces)
MP2 shows As 9c (full house, aces over nines)
</font>

When do I start to believe that Ax may be Aces Full?

David BB
07-20-2004, 05:50 PM
When MP2 3-bets on the turn.

SomethingClever
07-20-2004, 06:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When MP2 3-bets on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno. With no read, I probably cap the turn and lead the river. Then, if raised on the river, I just call.

Tons of people will overplay AK, AQ, AJ, AT or a different A-rag here. I don't like to give credit to online players unless I've seen them play competently.

Avery
07-20-2004, 06:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I dunno. With no read, I probably cap the turn and lead the river. Then, if raised on the river, I just call.

Tons of people will overplay AK, AQ, AJ, AT or a different A-rag here. I don't like to give credit to online players unless I've seen them play competently.

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely thought I was only against 3 aces here. I thought UTG or BB had the other ace or a flush draw. I didn't think AK or AQ because of no pre-flop raise, but I don't remember a pre-flop raise in the 20 minutes or so that I was at the table.

SomethingClever
07-20-2004, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't think AK or AQ because of no pre-flop raise, but I don't remember a pre-flop raise in the 20 minutes or so that I was at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. I see people limp with hands as good as AKs all the time. I play at Party, though, and I've heard it's looser.

tardigrade
07-20-2004, 06:31 PM
I think the only thing that would slow me down here is when MP2 raises on the river and UTG calls it. There aren't any draws left, so there can only be trips and boats left. These guys could have matched any of the three rags with their Ax, and there was no preflop raise, so it makes it more likely they have Ax than AK, AQ, AJ.

The question is: would the typical AT (edit: had A9 before, but that's the boat) or the like raise on the river in the face of *two* other aggressive players when there's only one more ace out there, and it might be a higher kicker.

Maybe you should just call the river raise. I'd probably 3-bet it too.

L0QTiS
07-20-2004, 09:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

When do I start to believe that Ax may be Aces Full?

[/ QUOTE ]

On the turn the board paired aces and you got 3-bet.

I think the only thing I'd do differently is just call the turn 3 bet. On the river I'd problably bet out and call a single raise.

bisonbison
07-20-2004, 09:37 PM
When to slow down is read dependent. Any impressions of the players involved in the hand?

I'd call the river raise.

nsj
07-20-2004, 10:54 PM
Echoing what others have already said, there's no way I 3-bet this river after having already been re-raised by MP2 on the turn and the river. You know they have trips -- the re-raise on the river tells me MP2 hit his kicker.

Turn cap is fine. More often than not you're looking at trips aces for each in this situation.