PDA

View Full Version : What is the "bubble"

ChessMan
07-20-2004, 03:39 PM
I'm having trouble figuring out what it means to be in the bubble. Is it that point in a sit and go where the blinds are getting quite high relative to the average stack size? So that people have to start taking big risks if they are to call or raise pre-flop? Like for example, 5 people left, only top 3 places pay, and blinds are 150/300 and average stack size is 2000?

jedi
07-20-2004, 04:07 PM
Busting out on the bubble usually refers to busting out 1 out of the money. If top 3 pay in a SnG, and there are 4 people left, you're in a bubble situation. Usually the blinds will be high relative to stack sizes, but not always the case in SnGs. You can also be on different money bubbles in Multi table tournaments when surviving one more player will give you a jump in the payout.

Different strategies apply when faced with a bubble situation.

Big Country
07-20-2004, 04:07 PM
IMO, and others may have a different definition, the bubble in terms of a SNG or a tourney are the spots right before the money. IE, in a one-table SNG that pays 1st-3rd, finishing 4th is finishing on the bubble. In a larger multi-table tournament, say that started with 1000 and pays the top 80, I would define the bubble as those out in the 81-100 spots.

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-20-2004, 04:10 PM
The bubble is the last place before the money. So if a SNG pays the top 3 places, when there are 4 left, you are "on the bubble."

cardcounter0
07-20-2004, 04:11 PM
The guy who is "on the bubble" is the driver who qualifies 32nd for the Indianapolis 500. Since they only start 32 cars for the race, any one who then qualifies with a faster time will "bump" him from the race. Understand?

ChessMan
07-20-2004, 04:21 PM
Yep I got it. Thanks so I was about right. I hate getting KQ suited in the bubble situation. I'd prefer 29o suit because it makes for an easy decision. However, if I'm the shortest stack and blinds are very high, I've no choice and must push with KQ suited.