PDA

View Full Version : How do I protect an early lead?

Cleveland Guy
07-20-2004, 02:42 PM
I was playing a 10 person SNG on Pokerroom.com the other night.

On Level 1 - I hit an incredible run

JJ - Flopped a J
KK- K on Turn and River
AJS - Turned intoa Royal Straight Flush by the Turn
1010 - Flopped a 10

Needless to say I was way out in front with over 8,000 Chips (15,000 Total in the tourney)

My question is - how do I build/Protect? I played tight and let the others knock each other out, and by the time it got to heads up I was at 6,000 vs. 9,000 and I finished 2nd.

Anyway to protect my lead after early hands like that without playing big into marginal hands?

J-Lo
07-20-2004, 03:26 PM
i've found when it gets heads up and the anyone w/ a chiplead of less than 2-1.... it becomes a crapshoot... it's a 50/50 as to who gets first

as for playing w/ a chiplead... wait wait wait, when blinds become significant try and pick up a couple, otherwise wait for monsters... or pick on shortstacks

schwza
07-20-2004, 04:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
as for playing w/ a chiplead... wait wait wait, when blinds become significant try and pick up a couple, otherwise wait for monsters...

[/ QUOTE ]
nope...

[ QUOTE ]

or pick on shortstacks

[/ QUOTE ]

that's it. as greg raymer said (approximately), "when you're a big stack, the key is to steal your way to victory."

especially when you get down to 4 people, everyone else is focused on survival and inching up. they'll be willing to drift downward as they jockey for position amongst themselves, each praying that a different one goes all-in against you. steal it up.