PDA

View Full Version : Weak play or good lay down?

vetman81
07-20-2004, 01:20 PM
Just finished this hand. Let me know what you think.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

Button (t1265)
SB (t735)
BB (t710)
UTG (t580)
UTG+1 (t1135)
Hero (t770)
MP1 (t775)
MP2 (t795)
MP3 (t760)
CO (t475)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls t15, Hero raises to t125, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 raises to t235, Hero calls t110.

Flop: (t495) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 bets t600, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t1095

His limp reraise PF makes me think he is very strong, AA, maybe AK. This is why I didnt push preflop. When the A hits the flop and he puts me all in, it seems like an easy fold to me. If no A hit, I probably would have pushed on the flop or called if he pushed. What does everyone think? THanks.

ECondreras
07-20-2004, 01:28 PM
What was the buy in?

If this was a typical low buy in game on PP, I'd have pushed all in when he re-raised pre-flop. I wouldn't be willing to give him credit for a limp reraise with pocket aces. In fact, at that early level I'd never try that move myself for the fear of never getting the chance to reraise and having 8 limpers see the flop against my aces.

Like I said, I'd push pre-flop and see how much he liked his hand.

Jason Strasser
07-20-2004, 01:30 PM
I remember ZJ saying a while back that players can limp raise with all sorts of hands. But that type of limp-raise is a limp-raise all in. This is a limp mini-raise. I can't remember the last time this has happened to me, but I think the range of hands someone can do this with has to be much narrower than with a limp-rr all in.

Here is my problem with your logic here. If you call to see the flop, and plan on pushing when no ace comes, then you are assuming that there is a good chance your opponent has AK/AQ, etc. If that was the case, you'd be better off pushing preflop. If you are going to call here preflop, then you should be playing KK like 22. Set/fold. In this case, you'd have to be very certain that your opponent had aces.

I'm not about making ginormous laydowns and I think I'd lean towards pushing all-in PF against an avg-loose player, and I'd lean towards check/folding if no king came on the flop against a tighty.

To tell you the truth, I'd be very surprised to see anything but AA from your opponent in this spot. Then again, if he was a wild one, or anywhere near the wild type, I'd push preflop.

In short, if you are going to call, the only reason is because you have your opponent on aces. If you don't have him on aces push preflop. If you are unsure, the correct rout would not be to call and see a flop, but to push. If you lose KK to AA preflop... Well that was unfortunate.

My .02,
-Jason

vetman81
07-20-2004, 01:43 PM
I think the reason I was cautious preflop is because not 10 minutes earlier I had the exact same situation come up. I held KK and the other guy reraised me all in with AK...an A hit the flop. Had this not just have happened, I probably wouldnt have thought twice about pushing. However, I thought I would see the flop and push if no ace hit. I agree with your remark about my logic being a little messed up...if I think he has AK or AQ I should push PF. Thanks for your replies.

patrick dicaprio
07-20-2004, 07:08 PM
i would tend to push here preflop. if you just call are you putting your opponent on AA? if you dont think he has AA then you get more money in with the best hand by pushing. if you think he has AA then you are calling only to flop a set, and should probably fold preflop.

Pat

hyde
07-20-2004, 07:23 PM
Quote:"Had this not just have happened, I probably wouldnt have thought twice about pushing."

this statement reveals the flaw in the hand. You were in fear mode and not making the logical decision. It might be called the "anti-tilt".
I would have pushed pre flop.

hyde