PDA

View Full Version : Heads Up: How far do you push a naked King?

03-20-2002, 03:33 PM
(I'm posting this 6-12 hand here because this is much more of a mid-high type of problem than a low limit one.)

6-12 game with a full kill - this game is loose preflop, with 4-5 seeing most flops, but much tighter than the lower limit games after the flop. You can actually get people out on the flop with a bet, sometimes.

I am the SB and pick up Kc9c. This is a kill, with the $12 kill posted by the button, immediately on my right. The button is a middle-aged lady who is extremely loose preflop, playing more than 50% of hands, and then somewhat loose postflop but reasonable in her play. Pretty straightforward, not too aggressive and not tricky.

Everyone between the BB and the button folds. The killer acts last, so it is to me next. The BB on my left has been nice enough to accurately telegraph his intentions every time - if he intends to fold, he has hold of his cards backhanded ready to throw, and if he intends to call or raise, he has the precise number of chips he plans to play in his hand. I look and see that he is going to fold.

I like my K9 suited heads up against a random blind hand. I raise, BB folds, and the button calls. 2 players, 4 SB in pot.

Flop is Jh Jd 4d. I think it is likely that my king is good, as there are only 5 cards she could have to pair/trip the board instead of the usual 9. I bet fairly quickly, hoping to convince her to fold, but she quickly called without hesitation. My read of her is that she probably has something of value for this call - a 4, J, any pocket pair, or a flush draw. Maybe an Ace, a King, or two big cards are possible as well.

2 players, 3 BB in pot.

Turn is the 2c: Jh Jd 4d - 2c

At this point I don't choose to invest more in a King-high. I check, she checks.

River is the 7c: Jh Jd 4d - 2c - 7c

I check, she checks.

BTW, I intended to fold it out if she bet either the Turn or River.

I'll post the results later.

Comments on either my play or my thoughts?

Dick

03-20-2002, 05:39 PM
Dick, I think that is one way to play it...not a bad one either, but I think that I would give a little pressure on the turn...fire in a bet, If she calls, check the river. But I think there are alot of hands one could call with one the flop that turn bad when the duece comes. I want to give them the most opportuinity to fold as possible. If you make her for A or K high, then it is really tough for here to call in this spot. I think small pairs like the 4's you mentioned would have a good chance to go into the muck, unless she has a strong read where your at, in which case she would probaly raise the turn, and you could safely fold. Maybe I am just rambling and am way off base here, but we'll see what the big gurus have to say about it.

03-20-2002, 08:33 PM
"(I'm posting this 6-12 hand here because this is much more of a mid-high type of problem than a low limit one.)"

i know what you mean.. ive been seriously tempted to post some 30-60 hands ive played lately on small stakes since the game i play in plays much more like a 4-8.

03-21-2002, 09:34 AM
I donīt know how loose she is, but there are many loose players who would call your bet on the flop automatically, especially due to the raise before the flop, so your strategy could also have been to check the flop, and bet the turn if she also checks (she could interpret this as an attempt to check-raise her on the flop). Your check on river is fine though, because I think she will at least call you down with any pair or better (although she just might have folded a lonely ace).

03-21-2002, 03:11 PM
The button proudly turned over 8d7h, showing me her pair of 7s made on the river.

Aquaman hit the nail on the head here. She called my flop bet with totally nothing - an eight high with backdoor 1-card flush draw and runner-runner inside straight draw. My read of her was totally wrong here.

I do not know if she would have called a turn bet. I didn't ask her, and I didn't see her in a similar situation again.

Dick

03-21-2002, 06:12 PM

03-21-2002, 10:23 PM
When she checks the turn, I would put her on one of two hands: a flush draw (high %) or a four (low %). Either way, it does not seem likely that a bet on the river is going to have much value. If she has a four, she will call. Same with ace high. A jack will simply raise you. This means that it's not likely that you'll get a better hand to fold by betting. Obviously, there's not too much in the way of WORSE hands that will call, so there's no value bet there. A busted flush draw won't call either, unless perhaps it's ace high. I think your only chance to bet your way to certain victory would have been on the turn. However, I can't say that I really think you SHOULD have bet the turn. I think you pushed it as far as you could/should have. Feel lucky to take the free showdown.

Dave in Cali

03-21-2002, 10:25 PM
regardless of the rather funky result, I think you played fine. Betting the turn would not have drawn flak from me, but neither did checking. I think you played fine. Great opponent to be up against, good game!

Dave in Cali