PDA

View Full Version : 30-60 hand

03-20-2002, 02:40 PM
Playing short handed the other night. Maniac (M) is winning by following classic bet a evry opportunity strategy.

I am in SB with AdJd. we are four handed. cutoff folds, M on the button raises, I reraise, BB calls( ouch!) Flop comes 9d 10d 4h. I check, bb checks, M bets, I raise, BB folds, M raises, I call. Turn is 5s. I check, M bets.

River is 9h. I check, M bets. I raise.

yes you heard right. I know M does not have anything serious but may have lucked out by hitting a five or having his deuces be good. I have seen him fold to extreme strength on river, so I decide to try my first ever river bluff check raise in my life. (honest!)

What do you fellas think.

Results to follow.

03-20-2002, 03:05 PM
He mucked. Maybe I had the best of it all along I don't know.

Question: Do people view their bluffs as positive EV plays in and of themselves or as image plays designed to induce future calling. I try to view them as +EV plays, and view any effect on my image as an added bonus. Interested what others think.

03-20-2002, 03:29 PM
Better to try this when you have a busted 87 as opposed to a busted AJ.

03-20-2002, 04:09 PM
I like your raise on the end. I agree with skp that it might be best to just call him down with your Ace high, but I hate the idea of looking like a chump and having to muck when he shows down a pair of 3s and drags the pot.

I like the bluff raise on the end. I've only done it three times in my life but it's won all three times so apparently I can pick my spots well. Twice I just got this feeling from how my opponent was looking at me, one time a voice inside my head said "there is no possible way he could have what he's trying to represent."

Bottom line, you read your opponent well here.

03-20-2002, 05:16 PM
Obviously, the gigantic considerations here are these: will your raise get him to lay down a better hand, and, if so, will the chances be appreciably increased by check-raising as opposed to just betting out?

I'd say that this was the perfect time to give this play a shot. Any little pair, any AK, AQ, A5, or A4 will likely give it up here for a check-raise, and might have just heaved the chips in for the one bet.

Seems about right to me.

03-20-2002, 05:30 PM
But all the hands that you say the guy will lay down to a raise probably would not see him bet in the first place. When most guys bet the river here, it's because they have a good hand or a hand that can't survive a showdown. All the hands you mention can survive a showdown meaning that he probably does not have any of these hands when he bets. You could call with your AJ; that's probably a better play than checkraising.

03-20-2002, 06:18 PM
skp,

If this guy is really a maniac with the rare ability to fold anything of worth on the river (as Jack described), isn't throwing in one more bet on a checkraise a better play than calling? Sure, many times you will have him beat with your AJ, but this play is well worth it considering the times he does throw away a little pair or AK or something. I agree with you that a normal player would check these hands down from last position to see if they can win in a showdown, but all bets are off, I think, with a maniac.

Mike

03-20-2002, 07:30 PM

03-20-2002, 07:49 PM
He really was an absolute maniac.

One time I saw hime bet and raise the whole with a board

of 3d 4h 5s, 8d, qc

with T9o

03-20-2002, 07:54 PM
Perhaps...I guess I was speaking generally as opposed to how to play a certain type of opponent.

03-20-2002, 08:22 PM
i think you make a great play here (i havent read the results). i go for bluff raises like this probably way too much but dont recall pulling it off on the river yet (maybe shorthanded i have i guess). on the turn every now and then i can manage a good bluff checkraise or raise, but on the river they always seem to call with just about anything... damn,..