PDA

View Full Version : Backdown with a set?

SA125
07-20-2004, 09:32 AM
Online 10-20 hand

I'm in the BB - 5h 9c

Loose UTG calls, loose MP1 calls, decent button calls, decent SB completes, I ch. 5 players to flop for 5 sb's.

Flop 5c 5d 7c - gets ch'd around.

Turn Jc - Sb ch's, I bet, UTG calls, MP1 folds, button raises, SB folds, I call, UTG calls. 3 players to river for 8.5 bb's.

River Ts - I bet. Comments?

I don't know how to post in white so I'll post results right after this for the curious.

Joe Tall
07-20-2004, 09:44 AM
First of all, you flopped trips, not a set. If you held 55 and the board was K52 you would have flopped a set.

Bet the flop, online opponents rarely give you credit for a big hand and likely would think you are bluffing and raise with hand like A7.

Three bet the turn, I have no idea why you didn't but it's a must.

Peace,
Joe Tall

SA125
07-20-2004, 09:45 AM
I bet the river, UTG folded, button raised again, I called and button showed 5s 7s for flopped boat. 12.5 bb's

I ch'd the flop fully expecting one of the loosey's on my left to bet and my c/r would get a double bet out of all callers with the draw there.

The button raise on the turn with that flop action had me thinking more TP, big club or a move. Rather than fl or..boat.

My bet on the river was based on my thoughts on the turn. I like the old saying about "not playing a set right if you're not losing money on it" and in this case I thought I could easily have been ahead as well as behind. Oh well.

SA125
07-20-2004, 09:51 AM
You're right about the trips Joe. That's the problem with print, there's no white out. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Look again though. I did bet the turn.

steveyz
07-20-2004, 09:55 AM
He meant you have to RERAISE (3-bet) the turn, which I agree with 100%. If he caps, just check call the river. I think the flop check is ok though.

SA125
07-20-2004, 10:02 AM
Focus so much on getting the hand right and screw up the title.

rory
07-20-2004, 10:48 AM
I think I like to 3 bet the turn here. Betting out on the river after just calling the turn seems ok, but I would not be happy about calling a raise on the river because it looks like one of your opponents has a club draw, probably UTG.

Yeah, I guess I don't understand why you didn't 3 bet the turn. I have a hard time figuring out if the river play is right because I have no idea what your opponents are holding. The button could have a good J, who knows.

-rory

SA125
07-20-2004, 12:17 PM
rory, I didn't 3 bet the turn for 2 reasons. One is that I was confident I had UTG beat and didn't want to drive him out there. Second is that I was pretty sure I had the button beat and wanted to take the river lead line instead, which I was hoping would induce a call from UTG if he also thought maybe the button was on a move and he had something to call with.

SA125
07-20-2004, 12:31 PM
Man, I took a meat clever to this post. I thought Joe said "Bet the turn there", instead of "Three bet the turn".

I know there's a name for that, but trying to spell it here will only add to the misery. Brutal.

Thanks for the reply. /images/graemlins/smile.gif