PDA

View Full Version : A good thing has happened

Cptkernow
07-20-2004, 08:19 AM
Heineken used to be the second worst beer known to (UK) man. Bud being the first.

However they have stoped brewing it under licencse in the UK and started importing it.

Now I am more of an ale man than a larger man, however this brew is realy top notch. It will be my drink of choice for barbies and such like.

Allways good to see something improve drasticaly in quality rather than take the opposite more common slide into shiteness.

nicky g
07-20-2004, 08:29 AM
All Uk-made lagers are criminal. It brings tears to my eyes that they brew Stella under license rather than importing it. In Belgium it's a fine, if not outstanding, drink. Here it's pee.

Cptkernow
07-20-2004, 08:38 AM
Whats annoying about that is that the beer companys obviously worked out they could brew a shite pee version of an otherwise execellent beer on UK soil and the Brits would lap it up.

And we do, Stella is massively popular in the UK.
So when the europeans think, yea, lets brew a pile of shite its only for those ignorant brits, they prety much hit the nail on the head.

Cept for those guys at Heineken.

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-20-2004, 08:56 AM
Heineken used to be the second worst beer known to (UK) man. Bud being the first.

I can safely say that you and I have found a subject on which we agree.

Cptkernow
07-20-2004, 09:05 AM
Larger cant be [censored] in Europe due to State laws that gaurentee purity.

In the UK and USA where no such laws exist, the beer (Bud/Stella etc) is both shite and popular (thanks to free market dynamics).

Vote libertarian = A vote for shite beer.

I found a way for us to disagree about it /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-20-2004, 09:29 AM
Perhaps, but there are still many smaller breweries here that produce outstanding products. I'll put Harpoon IPA up against any product from any country.

In the UK and USA where no such laws exist, the beer (Bud/Stella etc) is both shite and popular (thanks to free market dynamics)

That's because of advertising. People in general are sheep and buy what they hear about. Harpoon and Samuel Adams are both legal to be sold as beer in Germany.

It's tough for the good brands in the US (Sam Adams, Harpoon, Sierra Nevada, Red Hook, to mention a few) to gain mass popularity because of the unrefined taste of the US consumer *and* the advertising budgets of the large breweries, but the landscape is much better than it was 15 years ago.

nicky g
07-20-2004, 09:47 AM
I just came back from the US (I ended up not making it to anywhere near Foxwoods or MS, by the way - blame the wife) and I tried Harpoon's Summer Ale (or something like that), which I thought was very nice. I didn't think so much of Sierra Nevada though. Too fizzy and metallic I thought.