PDA

View Full Version : Vince Loese at Bellagio's! Long.

03-19-2002, 08:33 PM
I don’t want to talk about it! You heard me. I don’t feel like talking about losing. Well, since I did brag about my long Bellagio winning streak. One of not losing in Bellagio’s since coming to Vegas at the beginning of January I guess I should tell you about Saturday/Sunday. I lost $947 in my first losing session at Bellagio’s this year. That’s it. That’s enough. I don’t want to talk about it anymore. O.K. to be fair if you want to hear about it I will tell you what happened. But if you are not interested and god knows why you would be, go do something important like shell peas or something. Just remember that I told you that “I don’t want to talk about it”.

I won over a grand at Bellagio’s on Thursday night. Friday night I played in the NLH tournament at the O’rleans. I settled for a $1050 share of the prize with two other entrants. When I finished playing the tournament I was exhausted, really spent. The next day I dragged myself up from my VW (bed) in the early afternoon. I did not want to play poker. I took a shower and headed for Bellagio’s to watch the NCAA tourney. bellagio's sports book is a great place to watch the games. On the way, leery about being tempted to play poker, I veered off the highway and drove to my niece’s house. I wanted to take her to dinner but she was eating so I picked up my mail (junk mail is all I get, why do I bother) and left. I stopped and ate a sub and then reluctantly, knowing full well I was gonna play, drove to Bellagio’s.

Upon arriving at Bellagio’s I immediately put my name on the 15 Holdem list. Then I looked around and finally spotted Mason. He was playing 30 Holdem. We talked and he asked if I had eaten. I told him I had but would be more than happy to accompany him to dinner and have coffee and shoot the poker bull. I explained that I did not want to play at that time. He told me that it is a good idea to take time off now and then. We then took the Tram to the Monte Carlo and their Buffet. I had coffee and Mason ate, a lot. Not really a lot but I need to throw a dig at him now ant then. It does my heart good.

After eating we went back over to Bellagio’s and I gave in to my stupid self and got into a 15 game. This all may sound like an excuse to why I lost but it’s not. I lost because … well for the same reasons other players lose and that’s all. But really I don’t want to talk about losing. That’s why I told you what happened so far. If you think I was merely stuck about a grand in this game and quit a loser think again. Are you sure you want to hear this cause i really don't want to...oh, well.

I started this session around 9.p.m Saturday. 5 hours later I was stuck $2500. Five hours! How in the @#@$ could that happen. To me! A winning player. I don’t want to talk about it, really. I played poker for 24 straight hours. I was rude to Mason and beautiful Charmaine by not joining them for dinner Sunday evening. But I was stuck. When stuck I am a no go anywhere until unstuck guy. When Mason and charmaine came by on Sunday I was stuck over $2000 and there was glue on my pants. During that 24 hours of play I was stuck $2500 after 5 hours fought back to -$1700. down to -$2400 then up to -$1600 then down to -$2805 then up to -$850. The last was the hand before I left where I finished at -$947. I really don’t want to talk about it but I thought you should know how I feel about losing. I am glad I lost. I will never brag about winning streaks or losing streaks again. It’s over when it’s over. Of course there were a few interesting situations that occurred during play. For those of you that are gluttons, read on. One little note. I played a marathon, yes. But it was always at the forefront of my mind that I had not lost at Bellagios and I wanted to keep that going. Silly, yes, but that was part of it.

At one point in my session a player sat down that I was told is one of the best poker players in the world. “He is considered World Class,” (WC) I was told by one of my poker idols just before this next hand occurred. I was UTG with 7,7. I limped. The next two players limped and then a mid position player raised, WC on the button made it three bets and I debated with myself for a few minutes. I was stuck about 2k at this point but was on an upward path. I didn’t want to lose a lot of money on one hand where I figured to be way behind to begin with. Anyway I decided this was a good opportunity and attempted to call when the dealer told me that the SB, a real loony, had made it four bets. Now I was definitely going to throw the hand away but the SB said sarcastically “That’s what these four bets in front of me mean”. Yes, I got pissed and said “Oh really, well this is what cap means and made it five bets.” 6 people saw the flop. Did I ever say that Bellagio games were good? About $500 in the pot preflop! The flop came A, J, 8, rainbow. No problem, right. No set no bet. It was checked to the button who bet. Drat. What would he bet in this situation? Only two hands, Pocket Aces or A,K. No he didn’t have three Jacks or eights. No way WC three bets with that many players with J,J or 8,8 and I know now as I knew then the only A,K he would probably 3 bet with was A,Ks so A,A was pretty much the hand I was sure he had. But true to the title of “Capt Tilt” that Dangerous Dan, my best poker buddy in the whole world, dubbed me and with just a smitten of hope I decided to take one off anyway. Hey look at all that money out there. Sure enough, the turn was a seven. I bet and WC raised. Yes, I cried called to the river and was not surprised when he showed me his Airliners.

A few rounds later WC left. Was I happy to see him go? No in fact I was happy he was in the game. He helped to stabilize the game. Keep it somewhat sane. So who replaces him? Sissy Bottoms that's who. One of the other players jokingly referred to her as Sissy, “Billion Pots Won” Bottoms. Anyway she proved to be my nemnisis. When she left I had but $195 left of my 3k. She killed an A, K raise of mine with a 6d, 4d when she made a pair of sixes on the turn. Then this hand happened. Sissy raised UTG. Folded to me in the cutoff with A,A. I 3 bet. No I didn’t! I only put two bets out there and did not say raise so I in fact just called. The BB called and we three saw the flop. The flop was J, T, x rainbow. Sissy bet. I raised and BB called. The turn was a blank. Check to me. Bet, call, call. The river was a K. Sissy bet. I raised, BB folded, sissy reraised and I folded. Anyone see how not three betting preflop probably cost me this pot? Let me explain. There is a lot of value in defining your hand preflop against a good player. They will laydown some hands that they might otherwise call with. Part of winning at poker is taking advantage of this concept. Sure you may want her to call with three outs but not necessarily when those outs are added to those of another player. In this case the BB. Mistakes cost you in poker.

This losing post is about as long as it needs to be, maybe longer. Hey don’t complain. I told you I didn’t want to talk about it. But you wouldn’t listen.

vince

03-19-2002, 08:35 PM

03-19-2002, 08:36 PM
Hey I said i didn't want to talk about it!

vince

03-19-2002, 09:44 PM
one of your very best oh maestro of the green felt mosaic...gl

03-19-2002, 10:47 PM
Sissy's still playing? I played quite a bit against her in the late 80s and early 90s.

She once bluffed me out of pocket aces, among other things. What a post!

03-20-2002, 12:38 AM
Who's the world class player? Different country? Have we heard of him?

03-20-2002, 03:18 PM
Honestly, I don't know his name. I'e played in games with him before. He is a good poker player that's true. World class was (my) poker icons (two of them) description.

Vince

03-21-2002, 11:06 PM
Vince.

Since you played a marathon session, and you played it because you were "on tilt*" and didn't want to lose your long string of wins, I will tell you about my marathon session policy, and then you'll have some advice you can ignore for next time.

I don't play marathon sessions for the purpose of getting un-stuck. I play them for the purpose of continuing on with a good win.

Prior to the last few months, I almost always played 4-8 kill or 3-6 kill games, when I lived near AC it was 5-10 or less, I only rarely played higher limit games. The largest loss I have ever taken in my life (a bit more than 550$) occurred in AC when I played 36 hours straight, 35 of which was an attempt to get back the 350$ I lost in the first 30 minutes of playing 5-10 at the Trop. The rest of the loss was pissed away playing too tired and trying to get un-stuck.

Nowadays, I won't keep playing to try and get even. If I lose a bundle in a particular game, I quit and go home. The second largest loss I ever took was about 6 weeks ago. I lost a rack at 8-16 in about an hour, then lost three racks in about 6 minutes (grrrrrr....... slight exaggeration, but you get my drift) in 4-8. It pissed me off tha tI was getting killed by morons. I HATE losing to stupid people, it's my greatest fault. But I managed not to get too pissed and make all the morons who were clobbering me hate me and not want to play with me again. Instead, I gave my last $7 that remained after my kill-pot turn raise failed to get the gutshot that beat me out of the pot and gave it to my favorite waitress. Leave Dave, you ain't getting even today. The 4-8 game will still be great tomorrow, and the 8-16 game broke, besides, how would I play after what had happened today? Lousy. Leave. I left and it was good.

The next time I played, I played a marathon session. What happened? I'll tell you. I was at the lucky lady playing a leisurely game o' 3-6 kill. I won a nice $200. It was 2am and the place was closing. I had only been awake for six hours total, so I went to Viejas to play some more (as did half the lucky lady players!). I played 4-8 and won some more. Before you knew it, I was on the 8-16 list and they were calling my name. Funny how I didn't even notice it was nearly 24 hours since I started playing. But I was winning. A bunch. After another 12 hours I was citing the DS passage where he talks about if the game is good enough you prop your eyes open with toothpicks and keep playing. So I ordered some toothpicks. I also ordered some red chips to color up the unmanageable mound of $2 chips in front of me. They brought me two racks of red. THIS is an acceptable marathon session.

I won't play anymore marathons where I ain't having a good time, and I ain't having much fun when I'm getting my ass handed to me on a paper plate. That's my rule.

Since I have started playing 6-12 and 8-16 and sometimes even 10-20 more regularly, I fully expect to lose more than $550 sometime in the near future. It's the number of bets that's important to me, not the number of dollars. $2000 at 15-30 is about 66 big bets. My biggest loss is more than 100 big bets. Those days suck. Keep them short.

Dave in Cali. (giver of useless advice and rambler-on)

*diagnosis made by myself, a non-licenced practitioner of psycho-logical-tilt-ology