PDA

View Full Version : BottlesOf's $1K Week TAKE 2, day 1

BottlesOf
07-20-2004, 02:37 AM
Week 2, Day 1.

I wake up to watch the end of SWAT. The movie’s not bad, not great. Entertaining. I play for my early hour. Up almost 200 halfway through it, down almost 200 when it’s over. My man with the pfr of 1 and vpip of 65 put some a hurting on me  Here was one occasion:

I raise a few limpers on the button with AA, including this guy in MP. Flop comes A95 all diamonds. Check, check, he bets, I raise, one fold, one cold call and the bettor (my 1/65er) calls. 3 to the turn.

Turn is a brick. Check, bet, I raise again, cold-caller cold-calls, and my 1/65er calls.

River is a black Q. Check, bet, I call, so does cold-caller. 1/65er shows T5 diamonds.

I posted a number of hands in SS today, so if you want to see some hands, go check them out. They mostly involve heads up turn play.

I break after 2 and do my morning routine. I’m jonesing for some more pokers, so I resume at 3:30, I play for an hour, win some money back, and go to deal with the car. It takes less than 5 minutes to find a good spot (awesome) and I’m back to playing. I’m playing more than usual during the day today because I feel like going to the NLPC…I mean NYPC tonight.

I played a $20 PL MTT on UB at 6 to spice it up. However, to make sure I wasn’t
overextending myself, I only played 3 party 5/10 tables during the tourney. Last week there was a point where I had like 6 windows open and overlapping each other and I think it f’ed me up. I came in 37th and missed the money by 27. I pushed 88 on a K high flop when I was shortstacked, but I wasn’t short enough that my play was correct…oh well. I played until 7:15 then went to the club.

The 3/6 is funny as usual, I’m the only 2+2er for a while, and I’m doing alright. Then RustedCorpse comes, then stheif comes, and the game isn’t as good. I play alright, lose a few bets, get some SH experience under my belt and come home for my final hour of online play at 1 AM.

The hour is up and down but basically flat.

Day 1: 1,114 Hands. +$115.50

Joe Tall
07-20-2004, 07:51 AM
Since I only reponded to one of your threads in Part I, I'll respond to every thread this time. I'm sure you are very excited about that, as you should be.

I wake up to watch the end of SWAT.

Never heard of it, sounds rotten. Go rent a movie like "The Grifters" or "Drug Store Cowboy", I think you'd like those and if you haven't seen "28 Days Later", you must.

They mostly involve heads up turn play.

Which usually is extremely opponent dependent. Provide some player descriptions, any brief notes.

Then RustedCorpse comes, then stheif comes, and the game isn’t as good.

I've read some of your group posts, what happened? No "Hi my name is, Stheif, and I'll be playing the role of the maniac tonight."?!?

Peace,
Joe Tall

Luv2DriveTT
07-20-2004, 08:20 AM
Johny:

Just started reading your quest... go man go!

I didn't know you are a regular at the NYPC, I'm there 2-3 days a week usually playing in Friday, Sat or Sunday (sometimes Monday) tournaments and 1/2 NL after. Ask Barry to introduce you to the guy who wears the striped purple suit jacket with jeans - I am usually the only guy in the room with a suit on so I am easy to find. Say hi, it would be nice to root you on in person.

In Da Club /images/graemlins/club.gif

Tosh
07-20-2004, 09:58 AM
Chris make this a $2k week challenge, I was going to join in but I finished it yesterday afternoon. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

sfer
07-20-2004, 10:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I break after 2 and do my morning routine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quote of the day. I'll probably be at NYPC working on leathering my ass tonight.

scrub
07-20-2004, 12:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Never heard of it, sounds rotten. Go rent a movie like "The Grifters" or "Drug Store Cowboy"

[/ QUOTE ]

Great movies--I haven't seen Drug Store Cowboy in years.

scrub

scrub
07-20-2004, 01:03 PM
I was a bum and didn't reply to the last few of these, so here I go.

I haven't played online for almost a week now. The Bay Area has been too nice for me to make myself stay inside and play.

Friday I met with a guy at a nonprofit that I might want to work at when I move out here. We had a great conversation, plus the office is directly across the street from PacBell park, so I got to take a look at it. It can't hold a candle to Fenway, but it's still a gorgeous ballpark.

After the meeting I met up with 2p2er Garland, and we played some poker at Artichoke Joe's south of San Fransisco. I played in a decent afternoon 15/30 game there. The games were tighter on the turn and the river than east coast games, but extremely passive.

At about 8 we drove over to Lucky Chances and met up with 2p2er Jen. She hung out with us while waiting for her 10/10/20, 40 to go NL game. Lucky Chances doesn't spread a lot of games that I'm interested in playing, but it's a wonderfully run cardroom. They spread a 6/12 with a $3 drop on the button and a $1 jackpot drop, 9/18 with the same drops, then jump to 20/40. Thier baby NL game is 1/1/2, 4 to go with a $100 maxbuy and a $6 time collection, which is just about the worst structure I've ever heard of.

I played some 6/12 and baby NL while waiting for a 9/18 seat. Both were good games, but I think the rake was much too high in both for them to be worth much money in the long run. The 9/18 game was great and I got hit over the head with the deck. Jen was running bad in the big NL game, so I loaned her my Trop $1 chip that I was using as a card protector. She got back to even, so I guess Trop chips have weird voodoo powers out here--I'll bring a few pink chips next time I move out here and see how those work /images/graemlins/smile.gif Garland and I played in our game until dawn when it broke, then I drove back to Berkeley.

At Jen's reccomendation, I played in the 5/5, 10 to go NL game that LC's spreads on Sunday nights. I brought Scrubette and played from about 8 pm to 1 am. The game was fantastic, although I lost a big hand towards the beginning of the session and spent the rest of the night getting back to even. If Scrubette didn't have to get up and teach the next morning I would have stayed until it broke. I'm looking forward to playing it pretty regularly when I get back out here.

The LC dealers and floor staff are top-notch, the players are friendly and not very good, and the pork fried rice that they'll bring you at the table isn't half bad. The rake and collections were a bit high for people looking to play below 20/40 as an income source, but for someone looking to play for entertainment or to play big NL or 20/40 or 40/80, it was a wonderful cardroom.

Anyway, I had a great time out here. Garland and Jen were tremendous hosts, and I'm looking forward to coming back.

Chris and other NYC players, I'm going to fly into JFK in a few hours, and I might be around tomorrow for some poker. I'll give Chris a call after I hit post...

scrub

Ulysses
07-20-2004, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but for someone looking to play for entertainment or to play big NL or 20/40 or 40/80, it was a wonderful cardroom.

[/ QUOTE ]

They got a 40/80 going this weekend? Fri/Sun or both?

Re: the 5/5 game, yes, it's great.

Re: the floormen and food. Well, to each his own.

Ulysses
07-20-2004, 01:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wake up to watch the end of SWAT. The movie’s not bad, not great. Entertaining.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw SWAT this weekend. It almost inspired me to cancel HBO, 'cause I end up watching garbage like this and The Hulk. SWAT was horrible.

scrub
07-20-2004, 01:27 PM
It was running Sunday and was full with a list while I was there. I didn't look to see if it was good, but the only true fish from my game was on the list.

As for the food, I'm a sucker for salty greasy things.

As for the floor, I think you guys might be spoiled out here. They weren't outwardly hostile and didn't make any big mistakes while I was playing, which was a big step up from Foxwoods and the Taj.

scrub

Jason Strasser
07-20-2004, 04:38 PM
Sup,

It was nice to meet you at the PC. Good luck with everything.

P.S. I'm the kid they call Duke, I play 1/2 or 2/5 or 5/10 NL, whatever they spread. Holla.

turnipmonster
07-20-2004, 04:47 PM
how's the 5/10? is it running on wednesdays or mondays or both or what?

--turnipmonster

sfer
07-20-2004, 05:33 PM
I've seen it all two Wednesdays I've been there. Mondays I can't recall. The 1/2 is always running, usually two tables.

jen
07-20-2004, 06:12 PM
What is a "BottleOf", and who is Johnny Boom Boom?

I learned how to play poker in the LC 9-18; it's definitely a profitable game. I can't imagine the NL 1-1-2 being a particularly bad game (EV-wise, despite the time charge). But in the Bay, the most profitable B&M limit game is probably the AJs 15-30.

Does Scrubette play poker?

jen
07-20-2004, 06:15 PM
"As for the floor, I think you guys might be spoiled out here. They weren't outwardly hostile and didn't make any big mistakes while I was playing, which was a big step up from Foxwoods and the Taj."

The floor at LC is far and away the best that I've seen. That's compared to Bay101, AJs, Bellagio, and Commerce (ranked in descending competency order).

BottlesOf
07-20-2004, 07:30 PM
oh yeah well....what's a "Jen?"

(I'm both)

scrub
07-21-2004, 12:37 AM
Scrubette does not play poker, although she does tolerate it.

I thought the 9/18 was beatable, but by less than the games of that size I'm used to playin in--that $4/hand is pretty brutal.

I'm sure the 1/1/2 is beatable too, it's just boring to play microstack NL and the time charge is pretty steep. The mini NL games I've played in in NJ have been worth just about as much as a good 10/20 or decent 15/30 game. That game wasn't worth close to as much...

scrub