PDA

View Full Version : What is it with Poker Players and Baseball?

Malarky
07-20-2004, 12:39 AM
Maybe it's just something with the 2+2ers, but don't say you don't know what I'm talking about. You know what I'm talking about if you've ever read this forum or been in the IRC channel. Players seem to enjoy baseball (or at least enjoy talking about it) more than the other sports out there.

Why exactly is this? Is it because many of the posters are older and had grown up being all about baseball? Is it because of 2+2ers' propensity for statistics? Is it just because "baseball r00lz!!?"

daryn
07-20-2004, 12:50 AM
i noticed they enjoy golf too. oh, and booze.

oh wait, they're just american (mostly) males.

there's no secret connection, so crack open a beer and turn on the game.

by the way, go sox!

they should be only 6 games out after tonight.

daryn
07-20-2004, 12:58 AM
this sh!t is stupid.

Malarky
07-20-2004, 01:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
this sh!t is stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm as American Male as the next guy, I suppose it's just because I live in a town that, while hosts an MLB team, almost entirely ignores them until they win a world series, then ignores them again. It's all about football and basketball here.

gonores
07-20-2004, 02:46 AM
There's just nothing better to talk about right now...NFL and NBA aren't in season. Football talk goes way up in August.

Malarky
07-20-2004, 05:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There's just nothing better to talk about right now...NFL and NBA aren't in season. Football talk goes way up in August.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that makes sense.

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-20-2004, 06:10 AM
Right now it's baseball season. In another month football talk will go up. I'd also be happy to talk hockey, but since there won't be an NHL season this year, there won't be much room for that.

As for the super-boring, irrelevant NBA, who cares?

Malarky
07-20-2004, 07:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

As for the super-boring, irrelevant NBA, who cares?

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone in my city went from feeling the same way you do to being DIE HARD FANS the moment they heard we got the SHAQ ATTAQ.

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-20-2004, 08:19 AM
Don't get me wrong, I love basketball, but the NBA has degenerated into a bunch of clear out and go 1 on 1 one-trick ponies.

Malarky
07-20-2004, 09:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't get me wrong, I love basketball, but the NBA has degenerated into a bunch of clear out and go 1 on 1 one-trick ponies.

[/ QUOTE ]

BOOMSHAKALAKA

Gamblor
07-20-2004, 09:54 AM
n/m

Malarky
07-20-2004, 09:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
n/m

[/ QUOTE ]

YOUR FACE IS SUMMER

Malarky
07-20-2004, 09:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
n/m

[/ QUOTE ]

YOUR FACE IS SUMMER

[/ QUOTE ]

woah dude, good one

ThaSaltCracka
07-20-2004, 10:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
they should be only 6 games out after tonight.

[/ QUOTE ]
HAHAHAHA TOO BAD YOUR BULLPEN SUCKS!!!! WHAT A GAME atleast from my standpoint. The M's will finish close to .500 this year and be a spoiler team.

lowroller
07-20-2004, 06:17 PM
I think its because baseball is really a "thinking man's" game. Bases lends itself to alot of statistical and strategic analysis, as well as second-guessing, like poker (ie. "He should have NOT intentionally walked Bonds"..."He should have waited to pop the turn").

But the REAL reason that most poker players follow bases is because of betting on the games. Most poker player like to bet sports because, like poker, they have (or think they have) an edge. Although ALL sports betting is tough, baseball is the easiest sport to beat (greater variety in lines, dime lines, scalping, etc).

Also the fact that baseball is pretty much a uniform game. Most of the time the game will be played like its supposed to (you won't see the middle-to-cellar-dweller teams beating the top contenders too often), and therefore it seems easier to handicap/win with baseball.

JMO

daryn
07-20-2004, 06:19 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
this sh!t is stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm as American Male as the next guy, I suppose it's just because I live in a town that, while hosts an MLB team, almost entirely ignores them until they win a world series, then ignores them again. It's all about football and basketball here.

[/ QUOTE ]

that "this sh!t is stupid" quote was not about this thread, but was about the red sox collapse last night.

daryn
07-20-2004, 06:20 PM
wow, someone's excited about those M's!

when are they gonna start playing .400 ball anyway? sometime soon?

ThaSaltCracka
07-20-2004, 06:34 PM
haha who knows man, I just like it when the win. You guys in boston and NY are to use to winning, you take the wins for granted, but everyone the M's get this year is sweeeeeeeettt.......mmmmmmmm..... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ThaSaltCracka
07-20-2004, 06:42 PM
The real reason most of the people like Baseball on here is because it is an easy game to analyze, but once you start to dig deep into the strategy and stats, your hooked. Without a doubt baseball has more stats than any other sport. There are completely obscure stats, like Bonds hits 45% more HR's between 8pm and 9pm(this is made up) to more widely known stats like BA, OPS, ERA, and every single stat "means" something.
On top of the stats aspect, baseball has so much strategy involved, and I am not just talking about offensively. Defensive strategy is very important as well. Where do you play this hitter? How fast is the baserunner? if the ball is hit here, where should I throw? Its simply amazing to me think about all of it. Also, baseball provides the best oppurtunity for "armchair managing". Everything is second guessed by the fans.

Betting has very little, if anything to do with the popularity. Guess when Vegas sporting bets are busiest?..... During football season.

lowroller
07-20-2004, 06:47 PM
Betting has very little, if anything to do with the popularity

With regard to baseball (or any other sport for that matter), I will quote Ed Miller, NPA in saying "You Are Just Plain Wrong".

It's true that baseball's attendance and popularity are on the upswing...but poker players, specifically, are not all that enthralled with the strategic nuances of the game as they are the over/under.

Football is even worse, as you alluded to.

wayabvpar
07-20-2004, 06:51 PM
Interesting you should bring this up- spent the better part of a dealer's rotation talking baseball (and fantasy baseball) with him and a couple of guys at my end of the table Saturday night. I was shocked to find people even more into it than I am!

Schneids
07-20-2004, 07:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I suggest you watch a couple Sacramento Kings or Minnesota Timberwolves games next year. You'll see some good team-basketball.

ThaSaltCracka
07-20-2004, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's true that baseball's attendance and popularity are on the upswing...but poker players, specifically, are not all that enthralled with the strategic nuances of the game as they are the over/under.

[/ QUOTE ]
You clearly haven't spent enough time in the OT forum. I am fairly amazed at the baseball passion of some of the people in this forum, and from what I have read, very little of that passion is associated with gambling.

AtlBrvs4Life
07-20-2004, 08:58 PM
I don't really enjoy poker or baseball very much. Sorry to ruin your theory.

Malarky
07-20-2004, 10:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't really enjoy poker or baseball very much. Sorry to ruin your theory.

[/ QUOTE ]

You just blew my mind, amigo.

astroglide
07-20-2004, 11:51 PM
i don't care about any sports really. the only ones i enjoy watching on tv are golf and tennis (never played either of them), and i don't seek those out.

Gamblor
07-21-2004, 09:11 AM
n/m