PDA

View Full Version : OverPlay?

03-19-2002, 02:23 AM
I'm in the cutoff with KsQc in a loose not too aggressive 15/30 game at a full 9 player table. There's 2 callers to me. I raise. The big blind ALWAYS protects his blind. He is a loose canon, but is capable of folding. Button folds, SB folds. All others call. Flop comes AsQs8s. Big blins bets. All fold to me. I raise. He calls. Turn is a 5d. He checks. I bet. He raises. I re-raise. He re-raises me back. I call. River is a blank. He bets. I look at the pot and believe it's just too big (about $400 -- even though a large part of it I tossed in) to fold. He could have second pair with worse kicker. I call. He flopped the flush.

Did I way over play? Was a muck in order when he 4 bet the turn? Does anyone think I should have raised the river (I know he doesn't have the nut when I have Ks).

Thanks,

-Michael

03-19-2002, 02:38 AM
when somebody bets into you on a monotone ace-high flop, even if you're drawing to the nuts, you're simply not going to win or get a free card by raising. more often than not, you'll be facing top pair (which is beating you) or better (which is beating you). the turn play was absolutely ridiculous. give me the same hand and i would have limped preflop, called the flop, called the turn, and folded the river.

03-19-2002, 03:21 AM
ya oughtta read the thread "pumping nut draws on the turn" that me and dynasty put together.

i wouldnt pump the flush draw here. you dont have enough players. just call the turn raise and check/fold the flop. his checkraise means hes got AT LEAST an A. your behind.

you need 4 callers to pump this hand here. as we showed in the thread, pumping here 1 on 1 you losing EV with every bet. you need the free/cheap card here. you found out what ya needed on the turn when he raised ya.

not a mistake calling the river though, if yer not sure.

do you really think hed fold HU to a river raise? doubt it. hell call just for pot size. he didnt put all those chips in on the turn just to fold to 1 BB on the river. not a good time to go for a bluff.

b

03-19-2002, 03:41 AM
yeah, i do this all the time. play it pretty good, get the free card on the turn, and then for some reason (big pot?) i fire on the turn hoping to win it there.

sometimes you just have to play normal and check the turn.

brad