PDA

View Full Version : A messy win with KK.

MoreWineII
07-19-2004, 11:38 PM
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, Hero calls,

Flop: (10 SB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, CO calls, SB calls.

Turn: (7 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds, CO folds, SB folds.

Final Pot: 8 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
No showdown. Hero wins 8 BB. </font>

Don't laugh please. /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Ok, so here are what I think my mistakes were:

1.) Not re-raising with KK pre-flop. Here is my (faulty?) logic behind this. In the span of about 10 hands, I had gotten 5 high pocket pairs, JJ, KK, AA, 10-10, QQ, and won each hand *without a showdown*. I figured this was as good a time as any for to vary up the play. Terrible idea?

2.) My bet on the flop was intended to provoke a raise whereby I could call and set-up a c/r on the turn. And losing one or two of these players wouldn't have made me the most unhappy guy in the world. But did I really *want* hands to fold? Obviously, I bungled this strategy as nobody raised me - the big blind firing at the pot (when does *that* happen @ Party?!)

3.) On the turn I panicked slightly as I watched a 4-card straight starting to rear it's ugly head and watched myself misplay this hand more and more. And I bet. Would a check-raise have been more appropriate here?

Now that I'm posting this, I realize I'm completely lost as to how I should have played this other than 3-betting preflop (which probably would have solved a lot of my problems).

Help! /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Tosh
07-19-2004, 11:44 PM
Not 3 betting preflop is just awful.

MoreWineII
07-19-2004, 11:45 PM
I know. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Any advice after I made that awful mistake?

Tosh
07-19-2004, 11:46 PM
Figuring you 3 bet, then you probably lead the flop and turn and the result is the same, except that you collected another 2BB preflop.

JohnShaft
07-19-2004, 11:48 PM
OK, first of all, I'm not going to go beating bushes.
You ready? K.

[ QUOTE ]
1.) Not re-raising with KK pre-flop. Here is my (faulty?) logic behind this. In the span of about 10 hands, I had gotten 5 high pocket pairs, JJ, KK, AA, 10-10, QQ, and won each hand *without a showdown*. I figured this was as good a time as any for to vary up the play. Terrible idea?

[/ QUOTE ]
UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!
Wine man. That is beyond a terrible idea. You should know better.
Vary your play, and you're scared they'll fold?
Let me be Frank. F**k that! You've had an open raiser and THREE cold callers. You should recite 1000 times "I must 3-bet with KK here EVERY DAMN TIME".

Variation Schmariation.

[ QUOTE ]
2.) My bet on the flop was intended to provoke a raise whereby I could call and set-up a c/r on the turn. And losing one or two of these players wouldn't have made me the most unhappy guy in the world. But did I really *want* hands to fold? Obviously, I bungled this strategy as nobody raised me - the small blind firing at the pot (when does *that* happen @ Party?!)

[/ QUOTE ]
Hate this line. Really HATE it.
If my computer froze and I only called it Preflop I would checkraise here clearly. You're going to get them to fold out of this small to middling pot by betting and getting it raised, if that even happens.
Fine bet out to get them to fold if you'd 3-bet Preflop and telegraphed your hand.

3-bet Preflop. Bet the Flop. It really isn't rocket science.
Next time in a raised multiway pot do not decide to "vary your play" with KK. Just [censored] raise it!

Man you need to do some kind of penance I think. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

MoreWineII
07-19-2004, 11:54 PM
I just banged my head on the keyboard 5 times for each BB I missed - so 10 times.

Will that do?

If not I can instruct my wife to punch me in the face.

JohnShaft
07-19-2004, 11:57 PM
Hahah. The first ones cool, thanks. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Remember the lesson the next time you go to do this though. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oh, and btw, variation at such low limits with a constantly changing lineup is almost completely unnecessary...

MoreWineII
07-19-2004, 11:58 PM
Roger that. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

HajiShirazu
07-20-2004, 12:45 AM
Well, let me put it this way, you'd be better off saying in chat, "hey guys, big pair here again, just like those other times so I 3-bet" than not 3-betting.

Haupt_234
07-20-2004, 12:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In the span of about 10 hands, I had gotten 5 high pocket pairs, JJ, KK, AA, 10-10, QQ, and won each hand *without a showdown*.

[/ QUOTE ]

This shows your table is very tight and you won't get much action... so you disregard the multiple bets that you can get preflop in an attempt to make them up against the same field?

Your logic is flawed here... if there aren't many showdowns at the table, why wouldn't you get more money in preflop??

And get more money in preflop by raising preflop even if there are many showdowns, for that matter.

Haupt_234

MoreWineII
07-20-2004, 02:15 AM
Yes, as the keyboard indentation on my forehead indicates, I have learned my lesson.

PooFighter
07-20-2004, 02:31 AM
3 betting preflop would also bloat the pot to a size that would encourage the typical party player to chase gut shots, backdoors, and bottom pairs. That's good, right?