PDA

View Full Version : sort of common 15/30 scenario

03-18-2002, 05:56 PM
I open raise from 2 off the button with AQo and a loose aggressive cutoff 3 bets. We are heads up.

Flop: A K 3 rainbow.

Turn: K.

River: Q. no flush possible.

How would you have played each street?

Spoiler: he had QQ. But you didn't know that until after the hand, when he turned them over after hitting his one-outer.

03-18-2002, 07:06 PM
bet the flop

bet the turn

check call the river

don't know what he could call a bet on the river with that doesn't beat you or chop the pot. Maybe you should fold to that river bet but I don't like to make those laydowns.

tough hand

03-18-2002, 07:34 PM
"How would you have played each street?"

I don't think this is a realistic question to ask, since there's no way for the respondent to know what the opponent's reaction is/was to any play(s) the respondent made. In a nutshell and being very general, I'd keep putting money into the pot until given sufficient reason not to.

03-18-2002, 08:36 PM
i still like check calling the whole way if the guy is aggressive and will bet turn pretty much no matter what.

brad

03-18-2002, 09:24 PM
Rope a dope against loose aggressives but now and then play it differently to throw 'em off i.e. betting the flop, just calling his probable flop raises and then gauge whether to bet the turn or not. But in general, the strategy is check call flop, turn and given the Queen at the end, you probably will want to check that as well as you can no longer count on winning with a better kicker to your pair of Aces. He has you beat with a king or has a medium pocket pair with which he can't call if you bet the river but he might bluff with it.

03-18-2002, 10:44 PM
I check called all streets but I felt like a dope. I think check raising the turn makes a lot of sense. With this particular guy, I'd say it's 50/50 whether he would call!

03-18-2002, 10:48 PM
I don't really like it. If he has (say) JJ, don't I want him betting and chasing his two outer? Even a quasi-maniac will fold the turn here if bet into.

03-19-2002, 01:48 AM
I like a stop and go for the flop and turn here. check call the flop and bet out on the turn. If he calls the turn with his (now) trash, god bless him.

I'm biased for my california games, though, where three bets BTF in this situation often means a medium pair rather than a premium hand.

oh, yeah. river would be a check call.