PDA

View Full Version : Did I extract the max here?

steveyz
07-19-2004, 08:54 PM
Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button folds, SB folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.66 SB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.33 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.33 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.33 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 10.33 BB, between CO and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (10.33 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Jc Kd (three of a kind, kings).
CO shows 6s As (one pair, kings).
Outcome: Hero wins 10.33 BB. </font>

BlackMamba
07-19-2004, 09:10 PM
I would 3bet the flop and turn and raise the river. Other than that, you played the hand fine /images/graemlins/grin.gif

RollaJ
07-19-2004, 09:31 PM
yes, but only based on what he had, in general you are better off reraisng the turn and river, and why didnt "hero" raise the river?

1800GAMBLER
07-19-2004, 09:41 PM
You missed bets preflop and on the turn.

steveyz
07-19-2004, 10:22 PM
With no read on my opponent, I figured either he was bluffing and would just fold to a river raise or turn 3-bet (very likely) or had me beat (unlikely). I guess it's also possible he has a K with a lower kicker and would go a few more bets with me but I considered that very unlikely as well.

nykenny
07-20-2004, 01:43 PM
extract?? max???

lostinthought
07-20-2004, 05:41 PM
Are you checking the river to induce a bet from a worse hand that was overplayed?

Then why not checkraise the river?

The check call there seems weak, unless you are sure your opponent has AK or KQ.

steveyz
07-20-2004, 07:36 PM
Yes, I checked the river to induce a bluff. I felt that it was very likely that this opponent had nothing as I felt he would just call the turn with a marginal hand. It's possible that he has me beat but I'd say it would be less than 5% of the time and I wasn't scared of that. I should have check raised the river.

But my question really has to do with this general situation where you flop a big hand and your opponent likely has nothing except maybe ace high. The standard play seems to be to bet out the flop, get raised, then check-raise the turn, or check call flop then check-raise the turn. But usually either your opponents folds to the turn check-raise, or they check through the turn themselves.

skp
07-20-2004, 07:49 PM
The standard (and most profitable) play is to checkcall the flop. Your way of playing might be more attractive if your oppponent was an early position raiser and you called say with KJ suited.

You happened to get excessive action on this hand by betting out but I would say that you just lucked out against a player who simply refused to believe that you had a hand.

steveyz
07-20-2004, 10:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The standard (and most profitable) play is to checkcall the flop. Your way of playing might be more attractive if your oppponent was an early position raiser and you called say with KJ suited.

You happened to get excessive action on this hand by betting out but I would say that you just lucked out against a player who simply refused to believe that you had a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm inclined to believe you. If you check call the flop, would you check-call, check-raise or bet the turn? The reason I posted this hand is because I've experiment with many variations for playing a situation like this and have been unable to decide what to make my "standard" play.