PDA

View Full Version : big stack with A6s on the bubble

dfscott
07-19-2004, 05:41 PM
I was in a very unfamiliar position in my last SnG -- I was the big stack on the bubble. However, I was so used to being in a push/fold situation, that I really didn't know how to play. I felt like this was a weak call and that I probably should've raised.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t970)
SB (t4000)
BB (t700)
Hero (t7830)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif.
Hero calls t200, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises to t700 (All-in)</font>, Hero calls t500.

By not raising, I don't know if BB trying to steal or if he really has a hand. My logic here was that if I had come in for a raise, it would be for t600, and BB would practically be all in anyway, which I'd definitely call another t100.

jimotto
07-19-2004, 05:48 PM
I would raise it to 500-600, fold to middle sized stack if he reraises and call any bet by the small stacks. If the small stacks just call you, put them all in on any flop.

As you played it, I'd still call.

SeppDeitrich
07-19-2004, 06:14 PM
you should have come in for a raise for sure 600 would be a good amount. as you played it, call and hope for the best, even if you lose you will still be top stack so there's nothing wrong with the call.

Hood
07-19-2004, 06:19 PM
I make bubble play really easy: If I'm first in, it's fold or raise/push. I never limp. Some advocate limping with aces and kings, but I just play 'em all the same.

A5 with a big stack is a great hand, raise 1000 so button/BB have to go all-in to play. SB won't play without a top 5 hand as he's going to want to fold this ITM.

Don't raise to 600 here. I'm not scared of SB playing, he's not going to, and if he does, 400 chip isn't much to give him. The extra 400 I think makes a BIG difference - bad players seem to think they get loads of fold equity (although I guess they wouldn't call it that) if they can come over the top all-in for another 300). I think it comes down to the fact that the 'action' button says 'call all in' rather than 'raise all in'. The second is much more tempting.

dfscott
07-20-2004, 10:55 AM
Turns out that he was coming in no matter what -- he had AQ/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. When a Q came on the turn, it just put an exclamation point on his double-up.

patrick dicaprio
07-20-2004, 12:13 PM
in general i would raise here with 72 much less A6. Ok maybe not 72. given the way that it was played you have to call.

Pat