PDA

View Full Version : Am I getting too good. . . . at folding KK ?

SofaCoach
07-19-2004, 04:18 PM
Last week I posted a hand where I quickly mucked my KK when the flop came Ace high, monotone. I thought it was a good fold and most agreed. This weekend I had 2 more quick exits. THey are below. Did I drop them too early? Are both good folds, one or neither? I left off the results but will say that I would have dragged one of these pots unimproved. Any guesses which?

hand 1
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, Hero raises, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero bets, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero bets, UTG+1 raises, Hero folds

hand 2
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero raises, UTG calls, MP1 calls, CO calls, SB calls.

Flop: (10 SB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB bets, Hero raises, UTG calls, MP1 calls, CO calls, SB calls.

Turn: (10 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, MP1 bets, CO calls, SB calls, Hero folds

kgrad5
07-19-2004, 04:21 PM
Hand 1: i think a fold is good here hes most likely hit 2 pair here or the A at least

Hand 2: bad fold, 3 diamonds does not mean a flush, you should lead out and then if your raised think about folding but more likely check calling

SofaCoach
07-19-2004, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2: bad fold, 3 diamonds does not mean a flush

[/ QUOTE ]
four opponents with a flush draw had me worried, but I was more concerned that any 9 made a straight.

Chris Daddy Cool
07-19-2004, 04:27 PM
Hand one: Good.

Hand two: Bad.
Fear not the flush or straight. If you bet and are raised, then maybe you can think about it, but just because a dude bet and 2 people called does not mean you're beat.
I'd understand if it went, check, bet, raise. then you can fold.

Hallett
07-19-2004, 04:27 PM
I like the fold in hand #2, you have no diamonds, and anyone with a 9 has a made straight.

kgrad5
07-19-2004, 04:28 PM
oh i didnt even notice that, but yah even so bet and if yoru raised fold.. theres a good chance your still ahead here

Chris Daddy Cool
07-19-2004, 04:28 PM
What makes you think someone has a 9 all the time here?

Matty
07-19-2004, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hand one: Good.

Hand two: Bad.
Fear not the flush or straight. If you bet and are raised, then maybe you can think about it, but just because a dude bet and 2 people called does not mean you're beat.
I'd understand if it went, check, bet, raise. then you can fold.

[/ QUOTE ]Ditto.

SofaCoach
07-19-2004, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What makes you think someone has a 9 all the time here?

[/ QUOTE ] one guy bet the flop, and 3 others called 2 cold. I suspect at least a couple are on draws and the most likely two draws are the flush draw and a OESD holding a 9.

Hallett
07-19-2004, 04:43 PM
It isn't just the 9 I am scared of. It is the combination of diamonds,the straight, and the other callers. Somebody has something, and it is likely the river will hit someone hard, if the turn hasn't already.

Having said that, I might not fold here, depending on my read of the players involved, but I am not going to be the least bit surprised if I lose this hand.

SofaCoach
07-19-2004, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am not going to be the least bit surprised if I lose this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that even those many posters that disliked the fold don't really think that it is very likely that MHIG. However, they don't like folding for one bet in a pot that is getting very big. Correct? The justification for staying in the hand wouldn't be that you expect that your hand is best, just that it only needs to be good one time in "X" (haven't counted the bets).

Oh, and since it seems that few minded the fold in hand 1 I will tell you that it was hand 2 that I would have dragged. River came 7 of hearts, UTG showed AJo and took the pot with Jacks and 7's.

adanthar
07-19-2004, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and since it seems that few minded the fold in hand 1 I will tell you that it was hand 2 that I would have dragged.

[/ QUOTE ]
We already know. Do you see why? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Also, this would be a far better fold if you were MP. (Almost) closing the action, it's a clear call.

HajiShirazu
07-19-2004, 07:01 PM
I think the first hand is fine. I guess he could be making a move but I really doubt it.
The second hand, bet and fold to a raise.

SofaCoach
07-19-2004, 08:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We already know. Do you see why? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I assume you are referring to the fact there was no showdown in hand 1, but the villian could've shown his cards to rub my face in his successful bluff. (he didn't, and it likely wasn't).