PDA

View Full Version : Do you call an all in with JJ?

jimotto
07-19-2004, 03:30 PM
4 players left in a 20+1 sng. Blinds are 200-400, I'm in the BB with JJ and roughly 5000. Very aggressive, but seemingly pretty good player is UTG with 3500, pushes all in, it folds to me. His stack has swung quite a bit and he has open and reraise pushed quite a bit, but he has also limped with AA and AK. Do you call here? Other two players have around 2000-3000.

I folded. I thought there was about a 40% chance of a coinflip, 20% chance of being dominated and a 40% chance of having him dominated. I expected to have a chance to clean him out when I was holding the nuts. Sadly the opposite happened, he cleaned me out when I flopped a set of tens vs his straight on a board of 7-9-10.

pokeraz
07-19-2004, 04:00 PM
JJ is pretty good 4 handed.

To me, an important question in this situation is - What is more important, making the money, or winning?

Given the information you had that he had gotten tricky with AA and KK earlier, I would assume he had a small pair. Why push with AA or KK? The fact that I would not be knocked out and want to win rather than just ease into the money, I would easily call here.

durron597
07-19-2004, 04:16 PM
If he's playing aggressively, chances are he has a weak ace or a smaller PP. Since you have him covered, you certainly aren't out of it here, and chances are against the hands he's likely to have you will take him out here and have a great chance here of finishing first. I call this.

HighStack
07-19-2004, 04:36 PM
Everyone has already said all the right words so I'll just say yes also, I would have called too. It's a tough decision sometimes, understood, I won't argue with that. 4 handed though, that's the 4th best hand in the game, you just gotta call in that sitch. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

snowbank
07-19-2004, 04:37 PM
What are the other players stacks? This looks like a fold to me if the other 2 players are extremely short stacked and look like they are on their way out.

fnurt
07-19-2004, 04:40 PM
I call this all day. You're 4-handed!

Kidd_King
07-19-2004, 04:45 PM
I agree with snowbank, you both share probably a huge chunk of chips left.

If you are confident, you will take him anyway even stack, short stack or big stack.

Since he played the other hands trickily, you can put him on for something smaller than you. Unless he is the type to push in AK. I'd call. Now if he is the type to push AK AQ. I'll probably fold, because I don't want to gamble a good amount of my chips on a coinflip, while on the bubble.

gergery
07-19-2004, 04:55 PM
Easy call for me. You have the 4th best starting hand heads up. Chances he was dealt AA-QQ is like 1.5%, and you have him covered. He could easily have lower pairs or weaker aces and I don’t see him doing this with AA/KK unless he’s been pushing with everything. I figure you had best hand ~90% of time.

If you have been considering folding or actually folding JJ to big raises up to this point, then a good player will have figured this out and be raising with a wide range of hands here.

--Greg

jimotto
07-19-2004, 05:38 PM
Now how would he know I've been folding JJ to big raises :-).

I'd had this guy in my sights about several times already and he'd escaped with 20-30% of his chips each time. I thought I'd get him sooner or later. Maybe this time would have been it, I guess my instinct was that the guy was good and likely had a hand, and I wasn't willing to take the chance of moving from 1st to 4th when I figured I was a coinflip or worse better than 50% of the time. Too tight probably.

BradleyT
07-19-2004, 05:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why push with AA or KK?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because you have less than 10x BB? And also my opponents can't tell the difference between me pushing with AA or 83o.