PDA

View Full Version : Pocket tens HU with some overcards

Luke
07-19-2004, 02:33 PM
A friend asked me to critique a few hands for him and I thought I'd post one here for some additional advice.

I don't have any reads so assume the game and villain are "typical".

Let me know what you think of Hero's play and thanks in advance...

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
Hero raises, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero bets, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, BB folds.

Turn: (5.25 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets, MP3 calls.

River: (7.25 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets, MP3 raises, Hero folds.

lil'
07-19-2004, 03:54 PM
On the river, if you're going to bet, you gotta fold to the raise.

Betting this all the way is OK. You'll get called down by things like aces sometimes or lower pocket pairs.

Luke
07-19-2004, 04:46 PM
On the river, if you're going to bet, you gotta fold to the raise.

Yeah, the river was really the only street I had questioned.

I think I agree that if you're going to bet this river, then you should fold to a raise. I just hate folding the river in spots like this where my opponent is an unknown, I have a decent hand to show down, the pot is big, and I only to call one more bet. But I suppose you are right 'lil.

My feeling is that if the flop had been more drawish, I would check hoping to induce a bluff from a missed draw.

But given this particular board, I feel it is very close between check/calling and betting out/fold to raise, and I'm not sure just yet which line is best.

Luke

arkady
07-19-2004, 04:59 PM
Hmm...against 4 ppl and a virtually drawless board I am about 90% sure that I am being called with a J here.

By river time I think it may be KJs or A5 - but regardless unless you want to check/fold the turn dont think there is a significantly better way to play it.