PDA

View Full Version : VEGAS Trip Report...you LOVE it (pretty long)

DcifrThs
07-19-2004, 01:54 PM
Three words: best, trip, ever! Results First, fun second: net +$1800 playing Bellagio & Mirage games (somehow making up for EIGHT lost $200 drunken buy ins in the Mandalay Bay 200NL game- party poker 50bb style.)

so onto the trip. i leave work early to catch the 615pm flight arriving in vegas around 10pm. no movies, no food, no frills...sucks to be a low roller...maybe that'll change someday.

and maybe one day Enon will get a cell phone so he doesn't have to run back and forth from the bellagio, where he was ensconced in a 15/30 game, to the Super 8 motel (more no frills lifestyle) to make sure i get my room key. Alas, i took the lazy way and cabbed it from the airport and then to the bellagio and eventually Enon found me after meeting a Ben who thought he was asking if this imposter Barron was me. I also called DanS and coaxed him into eventually making his way to the bellagio.

I put my name on a wait list and eventually get into a not too great game (people play poorly but tighter than i've come to expect from vegas) while enon joins another 15 game a few tables away. when DanS arrived, he got a seat at the enon game...so for me: no maniacs, no crazies, just some bad post flop play. i don't remember any real hands from that table but i eventually got to join Enon's and DanS's table when mine broke.

so as i sit down, some unlucky fellow moves out of my seat and i sat down and take my free hand. or rather, it took me...right to the BANK!!! the ladies i found underneath the plastic or otherwise materially coated cards found their likenesses on both the flop and turn producing gasps and awes from the crowd as quads win the day /images/graemlins/grin.gif ... you LOVE it!!

i went on and won many another pot with big big hands that the unfortunate fellow who moved out of my seat (b/c it was unlucky for him) missed out on...thanks buddy.

eventually we leave DanS to fend for himself amongst the wannabe poker players.

back at the super 8 Enon commands control of the Television remote and sleep evades me for a brief moment. then i awake sometime around 2pm or so and Enon and myself go for a 24 minute 3 mile run to start the day, on my insistance of course. we then make our way to Cafe Lago at Ceasars for some fantastic dinner buffet....mmm mmm good. DAMN good. mahi mahi maheeeeed in some sauce and salmon nestled in couscous amongst sushi and shrimp and veggies. Enon took to mostly the same fare and we discovered we eat similar foods despite his being wierd, uh, i mean a vegetarian (except fish) and me not being as wierd (in terms of food). which reminds me to tell you all that when planning a trip of this nature with somebody you've never met its good to be lucky and get along with the person great AND share the same food choices.

so full as we were, enon lingers over some good looking desert. unable to finish it, i instruct him in the ways of counter-Ceasars Palacian napkin covered desert stealing...aka, putting the desert in a napkin and running. which he did like an amateur espianage agent while i provided the cover.

NOW for some Mirage 20/40...we get into a game and enon is, as always, on my right. we are also fortunate enough to witness first hand the hopefully non-communicable disease called Mirage Regularitis. These people SUCK! in every way imagineable.

HAND 1: read the Mirage Regular's hand. an older lady named dorothy or something with short red hair OPEN LIMPS first in from a few off the CO. bad player limps on the button after enon folds small blind completes and i check with 54o. Flop comes 6c4s3c. i bet thinking im best and have a reasonable draw against the regular and some poor players. i'm called by the MR (mirage regular) and the bad player on the button. turn come 7c. good but not great. i bet and am called again by the MR and the bad player. River comes the dreaded Ac putting a 4 flush on board. in my stupidity (but in the end luckiness) i check and disobey Clarkmeister's Theorum. the MR checks and the bad player bets, i quickly call and the MR folds. the bad player shows NINE FOUR offsuit with no club and i rake the pot while the MR is in TOTAL disgust that she folded a club, closing the action on the river. SO WHAT IN THE F-BOMB WORLD DID SHE HAVE??? Enon and i discussed this at length and determined that, at my suggestion, the only possible hand she could have had (assuming she really does suck) was (my answer in white)<font color="white"> 2c2x.</font>

now thats sick.

but the best part of the trip also occured on that night. we met up with clark and SinCityGuy and went to the Bay. It was during that car ride that i really really understood what it was to be a MR and how bad they are. i also got my first real glimpse into the world of poker. i've been playing for a year and only now truly got how hand selection is garbage. we can all select hands to play. the key is to play the situations well. I stole so many pots on the turn and river with hands that i had no business being in b/c of my image and knowledge of MRs that is makes me laugh inside. ace 5 off...its a MONSTER when you can read weakness and steal the turn with a bet when the queen (top card) pairs and the MR says, "don't fire, ok ok, you have the queen...take it" and i say, "thanks." while discussing this with clark in the car ride with THE bay in sight it really sinks in and i feel great.

so SinCityGuy (scg) myself, enon, and clark hit up the bay and are off to a corona filled evening/morning of fun. playing 4/8 we make a great great table even greater. my first showdown i get embarrassed by not value betting my canine against clarky and another one. that set the tone. we get corona'd up and clark's boss joins us and we get into a chip tossing tipping war with him on my right. we overtip dealers by tossing chips from each other's stacks to the grateful idiotic dealers (they did not deserve such over-tipping). then clark and his girlfriend leave and Enon and myself join a 200nl game and i get more and more coronas....gotta love them...but despite all the beer i somehow manage to play correct NL poker. Unfortunately, for the first time in my poker career, i truly felt the meaning of the term, "short run fluctuations." Time and time again, after getting my money in with the best of it i get outdrawn and outdrawn and outdrawn....FINALLY, we change tables and on my 2nd to last buy in i get some luck and bluff a bit and build it up to $900...still down for the evening but much better than WAY down. then i lay down A2 two pair on the turn to a $702 all in over the top checkraise on the turn after wondering if he really has me in so much trouble, why not get more from me??? in the end he shows AJo for a bigger two pair and i was no good and glad i folded.

unfortunately i wish i folded the next hand before even getting involved. KTs against the same guy who has so many chips its disgusting, maybe more than allt he table put together. i hit my flush on the turn and bet when checked to...he calls. on the river a BEAUTIFUL card falls putting a 4card broadway straight on the board in a $200 or so pot and the kid with the chips bets out for some reasonable valuebetting type of amount and i move in with the 2nd nuts...ONLY TO BE CALLED BY THE NUTS...

onto my last $200 buy in ... AKo, one raise, one call i reraise all fold to the original raiser, call call. flop comes 752 check, check, and i think and for some reason feel i'm behind and check also feeling like im getting called here by anythink due to the seemingly desperate attemt to win a pot. turns out i was right...but i only found out after an ace hit on the turn and betting the pot only to be c-r'ed all in and shown a flopped set of 7s. greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.

BUT, its ok because at least i got to take 1600 trips to THE bathroom (nicest one ever)...one for every dollar i lost and an astoningly high bathroom trip to corona ratio...something like 1600:20.

but onward and upward i suppose...

the next day enon and i meet clark at the Mirage and he SH*TS himself over the fact i lost 1600 at the bay...how could i do it, he asks...i must have strayed from the "game plan." but eventually Enon and I find ourselves in a crazy 20/40 game that involves a few maniacs capping all the time and doing other sorts of insane crap...like introducing themselves to me as, "sir williams" not "sir william." and i sit back and watch in amazement as Enon somehow miraculously sucks out on aces (after getting his cracked by 32o when another 3 hits on the turn) by hitting two running clubs and getting bet into and CALLED after he raised in 2 spots with the nut flush. man i wish i could suck out like that /images/graemlins/wink.gif... craziness.

then the next day it was just more and more of the same and i depart from vegas at 9pm straight from the poker table to the airport, straight from the airport to home, and straight from home to work...where i find myself now, not doing any and writing this report.

god i love this life.

-Barron

Clarkmeister
07-19-2004, 07:04 PM
Dude, how can you forget to mention THE urinal?

MarkD
07-19-2004, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It was during that car ride that i really really understood what it was to be a MR and how bad they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get it, what's a MR?

Ulysses
07-19-2004, 08:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It was during that car ride that i really really understood what it was to be a MR and how bad they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

witness first hand the hopefully non-communicable disease called Mirage Regularitis. These people SUCK! in every way imagineable.

HAND 1: read the Mirage Regular's hand.

DcifrThs
07-20-2004, 12:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dude, how can you forget to mention THE urinal?

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought i said i took tons of trips to THE bathroom in THE hotel...

do you REALLY want to know about THE urinal lol?

if you think it should be shared, then THE urinal is THE sh*t.

-Barron

DcifrThs
07-20-2004, 12:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

witness first hand the hopefully non-communicable disease called Mirage Regularitis. These people SUCK! in every way imagineable.

HAND 1: read the Mirage Regular's hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea i thought i was pretty clear about that one.

-Barron

J.A.Sucker
07-20-2004, 12:09 PM
So there's this urinal, right? ... and these Martians were at the urinal...

MarkD
07-20-2004, 12:23 PM
I was tired when I read it but looking back i'm not sure how I missed it. Oh well.

SinCityGuy
07-20-2004, 12:29 PM
Good times.

I'm ashamed to say that I ended up -$18 in the 4/8 game, including about $40 in tipping wars with Todd. I was up about $120 at one point, but after I passed the 12 Corona mark, it was all downhill from there. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

SheridanCat
07-20-2004, 01:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
HAND 1: read the Mirage Regular's hand. an older lady named dorothy or something with short red hair OPEN LIMPS first in from a few off the CO. bad player limps on the button after enon folds small blind completes and i check with 54o.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've only played the Mirage 20/40 twice, and I played with Dorothy the first night. She said to me, after I was winning pretty well, "I wish I had the patience to play like that."

Regards,

T

ChicagoTroy
07-21-2004, 04:41 PM
Great report. What is Clarkmeister's Theorem?

Clarkmeister
07-21-2004, 05:01 PM
My theorem didn't apply to the situation in his post. The theorem states:

If you are headsup and out of position when a fourth flush card hits the board on the river, you should bet 100% of the time.

DcifrThs
07-21-2004, 11:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My theorem didn't apply to the situation in his post. The theorem states:

If you are headsup and out of position when a fourth flush card hits the board on the river, you should bet 100% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

well then im glad i accidentally made the correct play and checked and called. note to self: clarkmeister's theorum only applies heads up.

-Barron

Ed S.
07-22-2004, 12:17 AM
I'm heading to Vegas in August, any other suggestions besides the Mirage. Unfortunately my BR will be hovering betweent the 2/4 to 4/8 range. But I will most definitely be checking out the 1/2 NL and 2/5 NL games. It was the 4-8 game at the Mirage right? I imagine the 3-6 would be similar in regards to the "MR" and how, [ QUOTE ]
These people SUCK! in every way imagineable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice Vegas trip report btw.

Ed S.

jfresh
07-22-2004, 01:15 AM
and fold to a raise?

DcifrThs
07-22-2004, 11:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm heading to Vegas in August, any other suggestions besides the Mirage. Unfortunately my BR will be hovering betweent the 2/4 to 4/8 range. But I will most definitely be checking out the 1/2 NL and 2/5 NL games. It was the 4-8 game at the Mirage right? I imagine the 3-6 would be similar in regards to the "MR" and how, [ QUOTE ]
These people SUCK! in every way imagineable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice Vegas trip report btw.

Ed S.

[/ QUOTE ]

ty...and the 4/8 i was referring to was at the mandalay bay.

the mirage regulars i was referring to play 10/20, 20/40 so i have no reads on the ones playing 3/6 or 4/8.

similarly, i didn't play 1/2NL or 2/5NL so no bets on where that leaves ya...sorry /images/graemlins/frown.gif but i will say i've heard and seen great things about the bellagio 1/2 or 2/4 NL game...just steer clear of the 10/20...they play gooot.

-Barron

DcifrThs
07-22-2004, 11:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
and fold to a raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

read my "counterstrategy" thread in mid-high stakes.

-Barron