PDA

View Full Version : 10-20 KK weak fold?

03-15-2002, 07:37 PM
It's folded to me,I have pocket kings from middle position in 10-20, so I raise. Only the button and big blind call.

Flop: A 2 2 rainbow

Big blind bets, I fold, button calls. Both players check to the river. Big blind wins with pocket tens, and the button shows pocket nines. Was this a weak fold on my part? What was my correct play?

03-15-2002, 08:02 PM
bb has a good steal bet opportunity. you folded because of the guy behind you i presume, which i think is a mistake because even if he has an ace he could make you for ak or aa at this point slowplaying. with another person behind me on that flop, i'd pop the bb back to see what was happening.

03-15-2002, 08:52 PM
You played it correctly. You really have to know the other players to deviate from the way you played it.

03-15-2002, 09:16 PM
Well, it's not a weak fold if you know that your opponent will only bet with at least aces. But obviously that was not the case. Notice that there is over 6 bets in the pot, so when you fold, you don't have to be wrong very often.

Another thing to consider is that your opponent should know that you will bet almost automatically in this spot. So why did he bet into you? One possibility is that he is trying for three bets. Another possibility is that he wants you to fold a hand like KK.

03-16-2002, 03:40 PM
I don't like this fold.

With the flat call by the button pre-flop, you can't put him on a big Ace or a 2. So, a raise here would probably get him out.

The only question is whether you think you can beat the BB. Assuming a typical mid-limit player, I would assume an equal likelihood that he is on a steal, an Ace, or a 2. If he's on a steal, your raise might win it right there. If he has an Ace, you only have 2 outs, but your raise might slow him down (fear that you have a bigger Ace), giving you a free card on the turn, and a decision if he bets into you on the end. If he has a 2, you have 5 outs (if another Ace comes, you can probably pick up the pot with a bet).

My play is a raise on the flop. Assuming the button drops and there's no reraise by the BB, hope for improvement or a free card on the turn. If I'm reraised on the flop or bet into again on the turn without improvement, I assume I'm beat and fold.

DC