PDA

View Full Version : Semibluffing: big vs small pots

Virox
07-19-2004, 12:43 PM
I just read an article by Jason Pohl at http://www.pokerpages.com/articles/archives/jason-pohl15.htm and I don't think I agree with him. Jason writes:

"Semibluffing on big pots is far superior to semibluffing on small pots."

His argument is that "semibluffing risk the loss of extra money when the draw fails" whatever that means. I would say semibluffing is better on small pots:
1. In a small pot it's a higher probability the opponent will fold.
2. In a big pot you are more likely to go to a showdown even if the draw fails. I you semibluff here a large percentage of your successful bluffs are hands that you would have won anyway.

So semibluffs should be used more in small pots, or am I missing something?

LetsRock
07-19-2004, 11:51 PM
I don't think hte pot size is as important as your opponents. Calling stations will almost always call regardless of pot size. A solid player MAY lay down a better hand.

Don't forget that semi-bluffing includes the factor that "your hand may be best", but you may still need help. While it's true that almost anyone is going to call with even a slim chance of winning if the pot is big, but that doesn't mean that your hand isn't good.

It's not really semi-bluffing if you're on a pure draw (at least not in my book).

Jerrod Ankenman
07-19-2004, 11:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's not really semi-bluffing if you're on a pure draw (at least not in my book).

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you're just making up a definition of semibluff, then. The defining characteristic of a semibluff is that the hand will normally not be best if called, but will have outs to improve to become best. Now, it may be the best hand right now, but then it's not a semibluff, even if you thought it was.

Of course, semibluffs are not to be confused with demibluffs and hemibluffs*.

Jerrod Ankenman

*For more on these, consult our upcoming volume. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

LetsRock
07-20-2004, 10:17 PM
A semi bluff (by all accounts I've read) is a hand that may be best, but might need help. If you're on a flush draw with no pair, it's speculation more than a semibluff. Betting with middle pair and a flush draw is more of a semibluff definition.

soah
07-21-2004, 02:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A semi bluff (by all accounts I've read) is a hand that may be best, but might need help. If you're on a flush draw with no pair, it's speculation more than a semibluff. Betting with middle pair and a flush draw is more of a semibluff definition.

[/ QUOTE ]

ToP, p 91: "A semi-bluff is a bet with a hand which, if called, does not figure to be the best hand at the moment but has a reasonable chance of outdrawing those hands that initially called it."