PDA

View Full Version : tilt guilt

papawawa
07-19-2004, 11:59 AM
I recently experienced tilt for the first time last night. I was playing a weak-tight game and the calling stations messed with my head to the point that I began consistantly making horrible decisions - playing hands I shouldn't, folding hands I shouldn't, under/overestimating players. I got really frustrated with myself. Is there any advice you could give me on how to cope with this condidtion?

StellarWind
07-19-2004, 12:07 PM
Make a sincere effort to understand which buttons they pushed. You've lost pots before, why was this time so bad? What feelings did you experience?

At what point did you actually know you should quit. When should you have known? Why didn't you quit?

Are you feeling better now? What lessons have you learned from this experience? Resolve to do better next time.

After you have done the necessary self-examination, be sure to forgive yourself. This is very important for your game and your well-being. Very few people are naturally tilt-proof. Managing your emotions is just another skill you need to develop, like reading boards and playing flush draws.

stir
07-19-2004, 12:31 PM
Stellar gave good input, but I would add that you may want to do something immediate while at the table and know you may be tilting.

Get up and walk away from the table/computer screen.
Give yourself AT LEAAST 15 minutes to clear those tilt tendencies out of your head.

Remind yourself that even tho calling stations suck out, they are the types of player you want in your game. Remind yourself to not be results-oreinted for that particular saession, but to simply make sure you are making good, smart choices on every hand.