PDA

View Full Version : Sam's Town and vegas tournaments

Al_Capone_Junior
07-19-2004, 11:52 AM
I gotta give an honorable mention to Sam's town for their tournaments and a generally decent little cardroom. I have played there twice now in their fri-sat-sun tournaments (lucky me, with a 5th and a split for 1st). For their $40 buy-in multiple rebuy $20 and add-on $20 tournament last night they only charge $8 total vig on each player. Since I spent a total of $100, that means I paid an 8% vig.

The ring games (up to 6-12) at Sam's range from tighter than hell to extremely loose, but more often than not they are fairly loose.

Another honorable mention for Sam's is that they spread 2-4 stud with a 25c ante instead of the dreadful 1-5 no ante. If only all cardrooms would follow suit and ditch 1-5 forever. Although I prefer higher limit stud games 5-10 and up, I did play a little 2-4 yesterday while waiting for the tournament. Much better game than 1-5.

I'll give another mention of Golden Nugget. The juice on their satellites for their $330 saturday tournament is only 12.5%, which is very low by B&M standards. Their tournaments are pretty good, with a decent amount of chips, 20, 30 or 40 minute levels (depending on size of tournament), and tournaments twice daily.

I'll give a two thumbs down for the Orleans and the Orleans open. A whopping 25% vig on their open tournaments. I had bought a lammer at a discounted price from someone in the luxor, but had I known how much juice they were charging, I wouldn't have bought it. Also, 25% vig get you a cashier at the end of their rather cheesy buffet line. You'd think for the juice they were charging they could give you ham and cheese wraps, fruit and hot dogs for free. Finally, for a stud tournament of 314 players, they were only paying 16 places. Boo hiss to the cheezeballs at the Orleans.

Sahara's tournaments are good. I like everything about them except that they stick 12 people at a table in the early rounds, then it goes to 11 after some get eliminated. They give you plenty of chips and the levels don't go up too fast.

As I make my way to the various tournament places around town, I'll report some more.

al