PDA

View Full Version : Poker Rules - Question?

Pot Luck
07-19-2004, 11:24 AM
Playing live tournaments at different places -- each has a varying number of HOUSE RULES. This came up this weekend and several people said this was more than just a HOUSE RULE -- that it was a "True Poker" rule -- generally recognized. I never heard of it:

If I can explain it right.... the rule stated was that any single chip bet that is higher than the original bet is considered a CALL, unless the player verbally indicates a raise.

So the action is player1 bets $500. Player2 thinks for a few seconds than confidently throws a $1000 chip on the table. (Obviously intending to raise - but saying nothing). The dealer quickly says CALL! Player2 says it is a raise, but dealer says too late... and states the rule.

Player2 now has exposed his intentions but can't act on them. He is ticked.

Is this a REAL RULE? If just somebody's house rule than does it make sense to anyone?

papawawa
07-19-2004, 11:36 AM
I think the rule states that a raise must be done in one smooth motion -i.e. all at once. For example: One may not match the bet, and THEN reach back to his stack to put more chips in. I don't think their are anyverbal stipulations. Thus, your example seems fine unless my understanding is incorrect. Sounds like you were playing against someone who doesn't like to get raised in his own house!

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-19-2004, 11:41 AM
I think this is a fairly standard rule and I have had it happen to me and seen it happen to others at a few different cardrooms.

elwoodblues
07-19-2004, 11:47 AM
I think this is a standard rule. Basically, you are telling the person who puts in one chip that they can't shoot an angle by only putting in one chip. Without a "default" the person could later claim that they were raising, or if the default was a raise not a call, they could claim they were calling.

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-19-2004, 12:11 PM
Is this a REAL RULE? If just somebody's house rule than does it make sense to anyone?

It's a real rule. preflop a single chip bet is assumed to be a call unless you announce your intention to raise before you toss in the chip. Post flop in most places, chips speak.

dogmeat
07-19-2004, 12:47 PM
I see more and more questions of this type posted here with the influx of "home poker". Ask for the rules before playing. As for this particular rule, as others have stated, it is standard in many poker rooms. Without this rule, a player could throw the $1000 chip in the pot hoping that everybody else folded, but if he was called or raised, he could claim it was just a $100 call and save $900.

My favorite move by a player happened at Harrah's in Reno during a $2/$10 spread Hold'em game. Some players had cash, as well as chips on the table. Player "A" checked on the turn, player "B" took a $100 bill from his pile and tossed it towards the pot. Player "A" immediately raised and "B" insisted he was not betting, just wanted change since he had said nothing. "A" asked, "What, you were going to play some slots?". In the end a floorman was called and made the amazing decision that it was not a call and player "B" got his $100 bill back.

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Pot Luck
07-19-2004, 01:48 PM
Does anyone know of a good source for Rules? Maybe part of a 'Dealing Texas Holdem Guide'? Online it seems most HOW TO information is just basic.