PDA

View Full Version : Whales and Dolphins Do Not Compete with Humans for Fish - Study

adios
07-19-2004, 10:59 AM
I found this interesting FWIW.

Whales Do Not Compete with Humans for Fish - Study (http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20040719/sc_nm/environment_whales_fisheries_dc)

Whales Do Not Compete with Humans for Fish - Study

Mon Jul 19, 5:58 AM ET Add Science - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Robin Pomeroy

SORRENTO, Italy (Reuters) - Whales and dolphins are not depleting the world's fish stocks despite the sea mammals' enormous appetites, according to a scientific study unveiled at the International Whaling Commission (news - web sites) (IWC) conference on Monday.

The study, partly funded by U.S.-based group Humane Society International, counters arguments put forward by pro-whaling nations that whales, protected under international law, devour valuable fish stocks that could be used to feed humans.

Some whaling countries like Japan, Norway and Iceland, have suggested controlled killing of such animals would help reduce the growing strain on the fishing industry.

"The bottom line is that humans and whales and other mammals can co-exist, there's no need to wage war on them," said Daniel Pauly, professor of fisheries at the University of British Columbia in Canada and co-author of the report.

"There is certainly no need to blame marine mammals for the collapse of fisheries."

Cetaceans -- a category of sea creatures that includes whales and dolphins -- and other sea mammals like seals, consume vast quantities of food, an estimated 500 million tonnes, at least four times the annual human catch of fish.

But the report by Pauly and his colleague at the Vancouver-based university, Kristin Kaschner, which mapped the globe's fisheries and compared that with the fish consumption of sea mammals, found little overlap between the two.

"About one percent of marine mammal consumption overlaps," Kaschner said. "Only about one percent of what marine mammals eat is in high conflict areas."

The research found that whales and other species were mainly feeding either in seas where there was little human fishing, such as Arctic and Antarctic zones, or the whales were eating organisms humans do not catch, such as tiny plankton and organisms that live out of reach of trawl nets.

The report acknowledges there are overlaps where marine mammals do feed in important human fishing grounds, but not on a scale that justifies a return to large-scale whaling.

"Our research clearly shows that these are isolated, regional issues to be addressed at the appropriate scale," the report says.

The IWC convention which began on Monday, pits whaling nations like Japan, Iceland and Norway against countries trying to maintain and strengthen a 14-year-old global moratorium on commercial whaling.

astroglide
07-19-2004, 11:51 AM
all the whale documentaries i've seen have shown them eating krill (sp?), not human-hunted fish

Ray Zee
07-19-2004, 04:25 PM
yes but people always kill anything that gets in the way of making them money or feeding their fat faces.

astroglide
07-19-2004, 04:31 PM
i don't know any fat people who eat mostly fish /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sloats
07-19-2004, 04:35 PM
They usually die from mercury posioning before they get too fat.

adios
07-19-2004, 04:39 PM
Which brings up another point. My wife claims that ocean fish contamination is wide spread, wide spread enough that she things it's unwise to eat any caught in the ocean. I have a hard time believing that.

adios
07-19-2004, 04:41 PM
Hopefully the study will enlighten a lot of people.

daryn
07-19-2004, 04:54 PM
yes, the whales without teeth eat krill and plankton, using their baleens as filters. i'm pretty sure however that toothed whales eat fish and plenty of them.

not that i believe they are competing with us for fish.

bingledork
07-19-2004, 05:23 PM
Humpbacks eat a lot of fish. It's fun to watch.
They blow bubbles which confuse the fish into smarming into a ball. Then they shoot up from underneath them with their mouth wide open and swallow a few hundred at a time.

Zeno
07-19-2004, 06:08 PM
Whales are mammals. It is obscene that they live in the ocean and not on land. Whales, therefore, need to be exterminated. Also humanity needs revenge on Moby Dick.

Once that is done, everyone can get down to exterminating another mammal, a land one, called: Homo sapiens

Le Misanthrope

Cptkernow
07-19-2004, 06:11 PM
There was a show on UK television asking how smart are dolphins realy.

The answer turned out to be feckin smart.

The clip that convinced me of how feckin smart they are related to some dolphins that actualy co-operated with some land based net fisherman to catch fish.

The dolphins would heard up a schoal of fish then signal to the fisherman who would then walk into the water with a big net anf catch the schoal. The dolphins would then eat any fish that were able to escape the net.

Whats feckin impressive is that this arrangement was instigated by the feckin dolphins and not the fishermen.
The fishermen had not trained the dolphins in anyway.

I bet if you asked a dolphin it would know the correct collective noun for fish.

nothumb
07-19-2004, 07:57 PM
Adios,

My understanding is that the larger the fish, the worse (generally) the mercury. This is because larger fish consume smaller fish, which have mercury in them, and the mercury is retained by the larger fish. Also, farmed vs. ocean fished often doesn't make a big difference as farmed fish are fed fish stock from the ocean which is contaminated.

Unfortunately most fish should be considered suspect if you eat a lot of it. You have to eat fish pretty regularly, though, for it to be a major issue. There are some alternatives on the market (farm raised fish that are fed uncontaminated stock, etc) but as you can imagine they are more expensive.

NT