PDA

View Full Version : A Tale of Two 99s

03-15-2002, 12:55 PM
Posting this one mostly for fun but I do have a serious question.

30-60 at Bellagio. All fold to me in the cutoff seat and I raise with 99. BB calls. He's an unimaginative player who basically has hands he plays and hands he doesn't and doesn't think much beyond that. Flop comes QQQ. BB checks, I bet, he calls. Turn is a 6. BB checks, I bet, he calls. I'm almost certain he's calling with overcards of some sort. River is a J, BB bets, I make a crying call, and he turns over AJo. But, he comments "I knew you didn't have a Queen because you would have checked the flop". Guy next to me says quietly, "Why bet, you can't get these guys to lay down overcards anyway". The comments made me think. First, maybe I win if I mimic a slow play of a Queen - ie. check the flop and either check-raise or bet the turn. My conclusion however is this is just too fancy and is thinking in hindsight. I also considered the commnent from the guy next to me. My conclusion, no way I can stop betting in this situation. I'm in the lead, a big favorite, why give free cards? If he'd turned over his hand on the turn, I would still have bet. So, any dispute that there just was no other reasonable way to play this hand?

Here's the fun part. About 2 hours later. Middle position player opens with a raise and it comes to me with 99 on the button. I make it 3-bets. MP is pretty straightforward, either has two big cards or a medium to big pair. Flop comes 444. I, of course, immediately think back to the abouve hand. MP checks and I bet. I'm thinking let's not do a deja vu here, when the turn brings a beautiful 9. MP checks and I bet, he calls. Now I'm praying to myself - please, please, now bring the overcard. River is a queen, all right, I hope it hit him. To my dismay, MP checks, so I bet and lo and behold he raises. There is absolutely no way he can have a 4 or QQ. I re-raise, he calls and turns over AQ. I turn over my 99 and for a moment I could see he thought he'd beaten 4s full of nines, but then realized I had nines full. And I'm thinking , Boy this game is fun when the cards fall right.

Claude

03-15-2002, 01:26 PM
Flop is QQQ. If you check the flop, and now the other guy bets the turn, are you really gonna raise? I agree with you, if he shows me has AJ, I'm gonna bet.

When I flop quads I now just fire away. No one believes you have it when you bet.

I figured the odds of you having pocket 9s twice and the flopping being X-X-X as 1 in 2 million. Do me a favor and count the hands until it happens again to see if I'm right. Thanks.

03-15-2002, 01:44 PM
I like it. Its nice to get revenge of sorts...Especially when the visionaries at the table tell you ,"well you can't have this hand bc you wouldn't have played it this way" even if you would have.

The odds of getting a XXX flop when you have 99 twice is about 166,735 to 1.

03-15-2002, 04:05 PM
Played both hands right just got unlucky on the first one.