PDA

View Full Version : MP with AKo

Riposte
07-19-2004, 08:30 AM
PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (12 SB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (9.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB caps</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 16.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 15.50 BB, won by SB.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: 1 BB, returned to SB.</font>

Sent
07-19-2004, 08:58 AM
I'm not sure I like folding this turn here when you have outs to the FH, if you were going to fold to a cap, you could've just called a raise and seen the river card

-Sent

tardigrade
07-19-2004, 09:02 AM
Wow ... that's quite a laydown! I'd have to see a showdown for two more BB. Even if he has pocket kings, you have a couple of outs. He very well may have you beat, but he'd have to prove it to me.

Vern
07-19-2004, 09:05 AM
My first instinct is that you have odds to call 1 BB on the Turn (About 15:1), but I thought about what hands he might have and played this way, and only AA, KK and AK make sense, so you are likely drawing thin, dead or to a tie. I think Sent is right, if you would fold to a cap after your three bet, why not call the turn and river (Same BB's) and look up the player, just in case he is playing fast and loose.

Vern

skunkworks
07-19-2004, 09:13 AM
I don't think there's any situation ever where I would 3-bet and fold to a cap. In this case, you have plenty of outs if you're behind and your hand will be good a lot of times.

chief444
07-19-2004, 09:18 AM
I would say there is a pretty good chance you folded what would have been a split pot. I think that was a pretty bad fold.

I also typically cap pf with AKo and 3 opponents. But the other streets are both fine. It's really just the turn fold that's bad.

chief444
07-19-2004, 09:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought about what hands he might have and played this way, and only AA, KK and AK make sense, so you are likely drawing thin, dead or to a tie.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree that these are the most likely hands. I disagree that it's that likely he was behind. If you assume the opponent has one of these three hands and would play any the same (which is not a ridiculous assumption here) then there are 4 combinations of AK and 2 combinations of AA or KK (one each). So if this assumption were correct then there would be a 67% chance of a split pot. In reality, some opponents may not cap without AA or KK but some may cap with worse than AK. Either way this is a bad fold. Just wanted to try to clarify why I think it was so bad and that I think there is a better than 50% chance hero folded the best hand (split). Also, when considering the opponents play and disregarding the math/assumption above AK actually seems more likely than AA or KK to me.

bisonbison
07-19-2004, 12:41 PM
I think this fold is terrible.

theghost
07-19-2004, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I thought about what hands he might have and played this way, and only AA, KK and AK make sense, so you are likely drawing thin, dead or to a tie.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that these are the most likely hands. I disagree that it's that likely he was behind. If you assume the opponent has one of these three hands and would play any the same (which is not a ridiculous assumption here) then there are 4 combinations of AK and 2 combinations of AA or KK (one each). So if this assumption were correct then there would be a 67% chance of a split pot. In reality, some opponents may not cap without AA or KK but some may cap with worse than AK. Either way this is a bad fold. Just wanted to try to clarify why I think it was so bad and that I think there is a better than 50% chance hero folded the best hand (split). Also, when considering the opponents play and disregarding the math/assumption above AK actually seems more likely than AA or KK to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could be wrong, but I would put the SB on AK or KK. Not thinking AA, because w/ a set of aces slow play on the flop might be better than a bet; and if he was playing it fast, then why no reraise?

chief444
07-19-2004, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Could be wrong, but I would put the SB on AK or KK. Not thinking AA, because w/ a set of aces slow play on the flop might be better than a bet; and if he was playing it fast, then why no reraise?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the flop play here leaves AA as a possiblility. Why check/call when you can bet/call and trap opponents in between? Still a bit of a slowplay but not so slow that you don't get some money in the pot. I would lead the turn and 3-bet if I could though with any of these hands, but who knows what the typical opponent may do. And it's certainly no reason to fold. Maybe he had pocket 2's and this was an even worse fold than I thought. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

theghost
07-19-2004, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why check/call when you can bet/call and trap opponents in between?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're right here, nice play for almost any set (unless you're trying to push someone off a draw) - looks like a pair and gets more $ in there than a pure slow play. I might use that...

(of course I'll give you credit /images/graemlins/grin.gif)

bdk3clash
07-19-2004, 04:42 PM
Your hand has too much showdown value versus the typical micro-player to do the 3-bet-and-fold-to-a-4-bet play. Save that for when you're playing $20-40 and you're Tommy Angelo.

I would have just called down the turn checkraise and hoped my opponent overplayed his 2-pair.

Getting 4-bet on the turn is why I wouldn't 3-bet.

Once you got 4-bet, you should have called and called the river based on the pot size.

Vern
07-19-2004, 10:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

First, I think the best outcome is to split the pot after the 4 bet turn, but I would call it down. Therefor, before I three-bet the turn, I would have a plan and since I don't want to be 4 bet, I likely just call the check-raise and move to the river. I have been accused of being weak, but since this is a big pot and I want to see a showdown now, I am not as concerned with pumping the pot on the turn when the C/R means I am not as far ahead as I had hoped.

Vern

L0QTiS
07-19-2004, 11:51 PM
Bad fold. SB could have overplayed Ax, or more likely AQ or AK (my vote). AA or KK should be concerned about and given you already hold one of each (not to mention one of each on the board by the turn) it would seem somewhat unlikely.

I'd call the cap on the turn and if I brick up, check/call - I still think you're ahead or tied.

I could be wrong but that's how id play it.

If you know 100% that SB *only* 3-bets a monster preflop, then I think you can lay it down where you did.