PDA

View Full Version : Hand Reading Exercise #2

Schneids
07-19-2004, 05:54 AM
This time around nobody's hand will be revealed.

BB is a tight, aggressive player. BB pushes his perceived edges very hard, but will slow up when he feels its warranted. He has a solid grasp of the players around him.

UTG is loose passive. Winning big pots is fun and part of the fun is the thrill of the chase. When playing a hand his own cards are the only consideration.

CO is loose-aggressive. He has to have something to push, so, he's not a maniac. But he definitely is capable of giving more action than warranted and overvalueing some hands. He is fearless, and semi-aware of his opposition's tendencies.

Preflop: UTG calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, CO raises, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, BB 3-bets, UTG calls, CO caps, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB bets, UTG raises, CO 3-bets, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (10.75 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, CO bets, BB raises, UTG calls, CO 3-bets, BB caps, UTG calls, CO calls.

River: (22.75 BB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB bets, UTG folds, CO raises, BB pauses for 15 seconds and calls.

Final Pot: 26.75 BB

What do you think each player has? This should be very easy to figure out almost exactly... Or within a few potential holdings.

TrickyTree
07-19-2004, 06:09 AM
Im going for this........

BB has JJ
CO has KQ spades.

Kakafoni
07-19-2004, 06:20 AM
Maybe I'm way off..

BB has AA
CO has QK (not sure it is spades though)

Mucking Idiot
07-19-2004, 10:18 AM
bb has AJ
Oc has kq spds
utg has 89....or any other 2 cards...lol

what does oc stand 4?

RustyCJ
07-19-2004, 10:38 AM
BB - JJ or TT, a 3-bet PF from this player would almost have to be a decent PP (probably JJ or above) or AKs and maybe AQs. Once the CO showed that much strength, I can see the BB just calling a 3-bet on the flop to trap the CO on the turn.

UTG - even though he folded the river I'm guessing some sort of straight draw or made 1 pair on the flop and was hoping to improve by the river.

CO - AA, maybe AJ. Hard to see him 3-betting KQs on the turn after that much aggression has been shown by the BB, if he was a total maniac I can see it, but a little LAGgy, then no. With AJ or AA he may not recognize the potential for a set out there. His raise on the river says he improved or he is a total idiot, either 2 pair or trips. I just can't see a flush being 3-bet on the turn.

ScottyAA
07-19-2004, 02:44 PM
This an excellent post,
i have not read anyone elses results posts yet but here goes mine,
BB has JJ, CO has AJ , and UTG has a hand like 89 or q9
or QT
here is my logic, the 3 bet on the turn by CO is too aggressive to be pushing a draw, so he must have top pair, and he would definetly 3 bet a hand like AJ preflop, No way BB would cap the turn with out a set or better , and especially because of the draw, When BB check calls the river he is scared of the flush not the ace. UTG, is chasing the whole time so it is hard to put him on any particular hand, but since he raises the flop it would suggest he has a pair and maybe a backdoor draw.

Shneids i'd like to see hear the results!!
-ScottyAAAA with A kicker

Ulysses
07-19-2004, 03:12 PM
BB - TT or JJ. Occassionally QQ or KK.
CO - QKs or AA.

elindauer
07-19-2004, 03:13 PM
Let's start from the end. I can't believe the BB is thinking of folding here, so he must be considering reraising. That elliminates flop overpairs QQ and KK, and probably hands like AK, from consideration, leaving only:

BB: AJ, TT, JJ, AA

AA seems to be about the minimum hand the BB could hold and still cap the turn, and 3-betting AJ out of position with the calling station UTG still left to play seems pretty suspect as well, so let's eliminate AJ from consideration. AA probably reraises the river. TT looks most likely to worried about the rivered straight / flush / over set, so let's put BB on TT.

UTG must have nothing on the river to fold for one bet having chased that far. T9c or something.

CO could have anything from AJ to KQs. TT, JJ, AA, hell, he could have QQ and be raising the scare card. The turn 3-bet sure looks like a strong hand though, so probably slightly discount KQs.

Results:

BB shows TT. CO shows AA and wins.

Ulysses
07-19-2004, 03:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hard to see him 3-betting KQs on the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

A player as described by Schneids could easily 3-bet KQs on the turn.

Ulysses
07-19-2004, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
here is my logic, the 3 bet on the turn by CO is too aggressive to be pushing a draw

[/ QUOTE ]

He could easily 3-bet KQs there.

[ QUOTE ]
No way BB would cap the turn with out a set or better , and especially because of the draw

[/ QUOTE ]

He could easily cap the turn w/ an overpair.

[ QUOTE ]
When BB check calls the river he is scared of the flush not the ace.

[/ QUOTE ]

He bet and called a raise.

Ulysses
07-19-2004, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so probably slightly discount KQs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. That's how one should evaluate these situations when putting people on hands.

RustyCJ
07-19-2004, 03:24 PM
I'll be very surprised if its a flush, there is loose aggro and then there is maniacal, 3-betting a flush draw on the turn is maniacal. he said the guy had some sense about him, no way is the BB folding in this hand, he has shown too much strength. CO is pushing some sort of made hand and not realizing he is most likely beat.

T0asty
07-19-2004, 04:28 PM
UTG has 67s of /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
I can't put UTG on any pair as he would want to call it down once he reached the river ?
BB has KK
the pause shows ace fear and flush fear but after the way it was played I can't see a pause as fear of the flush.
CO has TT or JJ hmm i'm starting to think this is AJs of /images/graemlins/spade.gif from your read.

??

jfresh
07-19-2004, 05:00 PM
both the A and J of /images/graemlins/spade.gif are on the board...

I think TT or JJ for BB
KQ for CO, possibly of spades
UTG 89 or Q9, but i guess we'll never know

edit: second guess, TT for BB, and AJ for CO

T0asty
07-19-2004, 05:16 PM
oops /images/graemlins/blush.gif i meant Aj of a diff suit, must have let my thoughts run away from me . . .

SaintAces
07-19-2004, 05:17 PM
CO with KsQs
BB with JJ or TT
UTG probably had JTs

by the way, I really like this "series" Keep it up Schneids!

Schneids
07-19-2004, 05:25 PM
This was a real hand that recently occurred.

In the hand, BB had JJ and CO had AA.

I think BB's most likely hands are JJ or TT, though the way BB played it you certainly couldn't discount the possibility of him having QQ or KK (especially given the turn check raise...though the turn cap then makes it slightly less likely, though still a little possible given BB being aware of his overaggressive CO and calling station UTG). I think if BB had AA you would have probably seen a 3-bet on the river.

When I look at this hand, knowing BB has JJ, I think the most reasonable holdings for CO are AA or KsQs. Sure there'll be some times that CO has TT or AJ as well, but that also means there'll be times CO has KQo, and weighting it all together makes a call on the river.

UTG -- well, I would have to assume a straight draw of any kind.

JrJordan
07-19-2004, 05:49 PM
Haven't seen the results yet, lets give it a try.

UTG has 89o, drawing to the ignorant end of the straight.
BB has TT or JJ for the winning set.
CO has AJo for top 2 pair.

rkaufman
07-19-2004, 09:47 PM
Without reading the other responses, I'll take a stab at this: BB has KK (or QQ), UTG had a busted straight draw?, and CO has AJ (or possibly KJ or QJ).

Woody