PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to impove my profits in SnGs

GreggyB
07-19-2004, 03:18 AM
I've been playing on UB for 9 months or so, and would like to think of myself as a decent poker player. I have alot to learn, but I know I've come a long way in the last nine months too. The problem is, my bankroll does not reflect my percieved poker abillity.

Now, either I'm not as good as I think I am (which is very possible) or I'm just not being disciplined enough. So I'm embarking on a quest for profit -- trying to build my bankroll with a systematic, disciplined approach.

I'm going to start playing only the UB 5+.50 SnGs, and try to build my $35 BR into $200. From there I have some questions for all of you:

-I am always hearing that the 10+1 at Party are the easiest way to make money playing online. Should I move my BR over to party, take advantage of some sort of bonus and forget about UB?

-I'm always hearing about MultiTabling -- but I thought you can only have three or four tables open at a time on UB (and other sites i thought). Are there ways around this?

-What kind of BR should I have to move up to the $10+1?

Thanks.

Greg
www.triptwos.com (http://www.triptwos.com)

RPatterson
07-19-2004, 03:40 AM
My take on the party sit-no-go's is it's like a different game compared to the UB or Pokerstars ones. Especially the stars. Party gives you so few chips and such fast blinds that you can barely make any kind of play on the flop and beyond without going all-in.

I like the UB 6 man because you have to play alot of flops. If you don't like playing flops and enjoy making tons of pre-flop all-in moves then party would be the place for you.

SumZero
07-19-2004, 04:48 AM
Yeah, I think this comes down to why do you play SNG in particular and poker in general? Three common reasons people play:

1. It is fun.

2. To become better poker players.

3. To make money.

Now most of us want to do all 3 of these, but for some it might be 60/30/10 while for others it may be 30/10/60 respectively. So if what you care most about is money you want to find the biggest fish around and play at the level that makes you the most money (which is usually at, or near, the highest level you can beat). If what you care most about is fun you may want to stay at lower levels, as long as the entertainment value is still the same (for most people at some point it is too low stakes to be fun. I.e., playmoney is no fun for me). If what you care most about is becoming a better poker player, you should probably gradually move up levels when you have learned all, or almost all, that you can at that level.

For me I'm probably 50/40/10 so I'm happy staying at UB (frozen games notwithstanding), and I'm enjoying having moved up to the $10 SNG even though I'm roughly breakeven here (slightly positive right now, but not significant) while I was solidly beating the $5 SNG. And why I'm enjoying playing MTT even though I'm likely a losing player in that format (although hard to say as a top 3 result in a tournament would make me winning).