PDA

View Full Version : AJo, BB.

Bob T.
07-19-2004, 02:05 AM
Online 3-6 game.

Two new players this hand, who are posting in the CO, and CO-1.

UTG calls, both the posters check, the button folds, the SB completes, and I have A /images/graemlins/spade.gifJ /images/graemlins/heart.gif. I raise, and everyone calls.

Flop J /images/graemlins/club.gifQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif.

SB checks, I bet, two folds, CO calls, SB folds.

Turn 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif I bet, CO calls.

River 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif I bet, CO calls.

Whatcha think?

TRWIII
07-19-2004, 02:09 AM
Pretty standard. CO may have a weak Queen, and if he does, more power to him. You're beating a whole pile of hands he might be calling down with (probably a weak jack or a straight draw).

Just my 2 cents,
TRWIII

JTG51
07-19-2004, 02:12 AM
I'd play it the same. What do you think you might have done differently?

Bob T.
07-19-2004, 02:17 AM
I didn't think I would do anything differently. I was reading the post dedicated to arkady where the poster said that people don't post routine hands. About three minutes later, I play this hand, which I thought was routine, but at the same time, I remember when I wouldn't have played it this way at all. I thought I would post it, and maybe it might change someone's thinking a little bit about how to play some hands.

JTG51
07-19-2004, 02:23 AM
Ah, in that case, good post.

I'm sure there are lots of posters that wouldn't raise preflop or bet the river. Hopefully they'll debate this one and get something out of it.

Joe Tall
07-19-2004, 09:27 AM
I'm sure there are lots of posters that wouldn't raise preflop or bet the river. Hopefully they'll debate this one and get something out of it.

There is nothing to debate, but bumping this up may get some more reads.

WTF is your avatar?

Peace,
Joe Tall

Aces McGee
07-19-2004, 10:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
WTF is your avatar?

[/ QUOTE ]

JTG will have to confirm, but I believe those are the scores of the two national basketball championship games in which UConn's men have won.

-McGee

JTG51
07-19-2004, 03:47 PM
JTG will have to confirm, but I believe those are the scores of the two national basketball championship games in which UConn's men have won.

Correct. I'm very impressed!

Jdanz
07-19-2004, 03:53 PM
good post, i wouldn't have raised or bet the river when i first started, and the interm part where people are learning to tighten up leads to play other then this line. Then you realize that tight isn't enough for more then .2bb/100

-JDanz

Aces McGee
07-19-2004, 04:00 PM
I watch a lot of basketball.

-McGee

Chris Daddy Cool
07-19-2004, 04:10 PM
Looks standard to me. What do you do if you're raised on the river? Me thinks fold. But what says you?

Tosh
07-19-2004, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Looks standard to me. What do you do if you're raised on the river? Me thinks fold. But what says you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't seem likely enough to second guess yourself on really.

Tosh
07-19-2004, 04:14 PM
Bob the hand is totally standard as you said, well played.

Songwind
07-19-2004, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure there are lots of posters that wouldn't raise preflop or bet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I can see not raising preflop with AJo, but why not bet the river? No pair, no flush draw.. are we really afraid of 24 or 47? Or a check raise from Mr. Passive Pants with a queen he's been sitting on the whole time?

JDErickson
07-19-2004, 04:20 PM
This reminds me of a hand last night. Almost the exact same thing.

Opponent called me down with a pair compareable to a 3 in your hand.

Chris Daddy Cool
07-19-2004, 04:22 PM
I agree getting raised isn't all that likely, but what happens if you do get raised is all I'm asking. Just trying to cover all the bases.

Tosh
07-19-2004, 04:24 PM
Fair enough. You call.

Bob T.
07-19-2004, 04:34 PM
Oh, well, not much interest in this one, but I will post the results anyway.

I raised preflop because I thought that with one limper, and two posters that checked as well as the SB, who just completed, I clearly had to have the most equity in the pot preflop.

On the flop, with fairly random hands, I have no idea who might have some values, where a bet might come from. If this was five handed with all limpers, I might have thought about checking to either raise or fold based on the action, but with posters in instead of limpers, I thought that betting and then reacting to further information was better.

On the turn, headsup, I thought that this was the easiest play. My opponent would have had the right odds to draw to a gutshot on the flop, but on the turn he wouldn't, so I think a bet to charge/fold a gutshot draw is mandatory here.

The river was a little tougher, my opponent might have been on a draw, so he wouldn't pay me off, or he might have a weaker J, or a weak Q, but giving up position, I feel like I need to make the bet here, instead of checking and calling.

My opponent had a weak J, and MHIG.

Even though this was a fairly routine hand, I thought that the way that my decisions on this hand probably got me an extra 3 BBs over the way that I would have played it some years ago. If I had lost the hand, it probably would have cost me about a Big bet more than the playing less aggressively, but I think that in this situation, that was a good tradeoff.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

arkady
07-19-2004, 04:50 PM
This is the 3rd time I was mentioned in a post, I feel loved.

I like the raise - maybe 1 month ago I wouldnt have done it, ok, maybe 2 weeks ago I wouldnt have done it. But you most likely have the best hand - anyway.

Also, I think A LOT of people will check that river and it takes something extra to fire that 3rd barrel.

The hand may be standard, but two things
- raising out of bb
- betting the river

are not thing I feel most people would do, especially beginners.