PDA

View Full Version : Which are the best Texas Hold'm books?

kona
07-19-2004, 01:59 AM
I have always been a craps player and have recently joined the ranks of Hold’em players. Best I have done so fare in free tournaments of a thousand or more players is 61st and 32nd. Money tournaments of 1000 or more the best is 108th and 62nd. I know that I have a lot to learn because too many mistakes are made. I’m learning it is better to win the pot then to bet too low and get out drawn. My knowledge of poker strategy and understanding is basic at best and I think some quality books may help. I realize that with free or very little money tournaments you probably have 30-50% of the players that don’t have any clue at all and will just weed themselves out. I tend to make my mistakes further down the line when some other players have such huge stacks that they push you around. Thanks in advance for your advice.

h_ven
07-19-2004, 02:17 AM
I'm sure you've heard of "Super System."

deacsoft
07-19-2004, 02:52 AM
Theory of Poker by Sklansky is a must read and reread.

Sponger15SB
07-19-2004, 04:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure you've heard of "Super System."

[/ QUOTE ]

yes make sure you put it on the 'don't buy' list

deacsoft
07-19-2004, 01:34 PM
A Super System 2 will be released some time in the near future. You may want to pick that up. As for the first Super System, I found it to be a good book. It's worth reading but there are quite a few books that I would recommend reading first.

PocketsRA
07-19-2004, 03:42 PM
Super System by Dole, and several of Sklansky's books,

StogeyMike
07-19-2004, 03:55 PM
IMHO, you should read the following books in order (all by Sklansky):

1. Theory of Poker
2. Hold'em Poker
3. Hold'Em Poker for Advanced Players

This curriculum will ground you in theory and thinking, but might not be enough for someone who is mostly going to play tournaments as you indicate you do in your post. For tournament reading, you can read Sklansky or McEvoy/Cloutier.

No matter what direction you go in this game, Theory of Poker is REQUIRED READING so definitely start there.