PDA

View Full Version : Getting myself into less trouble with middle pairs

Entity
07-19-2004, 01:16 AM
Any advice? I'm playing against a mix of decent players and crazy fish. I still have yet to come up with a good strategy for playing against some of these players.

Obviously doing the same thing each time isn't good, as you can become very predictable. But say, 88 in EP -- what's good advice? Limp and fold if you don't hit?

Having a tough day today (down 18BB /images/graemlins/frown.gif), and I'm trying to plug any leaks I have. Middle pairs (55-99 mainly) seem to be causing me a lot of grief.

Rob

bisonbison
07-19-2004, 01:24 AM
Of those pairs, only 99 is going to win very often unimproved. With the rest, limping and folding if you don't flop a set, a straight draw or an overpair is not going to hurt you much. Just remember to look at the size of the pot - sometimes you'll have the odds to continue with very thin draws.

Beyond that, I think you need to understand that losing 18BB is not a big swing at all. Post in the probability forum to find out just how likely you are to regularly experience swings that size and larger.

Entity
07-19-2004, 01:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Of those pairs, only 99 is going to win very often unimproved. With the rest, limping and folding if you don't flop a set, a straight draw or an overpair is not going to hurt you much. Just remember to look at the size of the pot - sometimes you'll have the odds to continue with very thin draws.

Beyond that, I think you need to understand that losing 18BB is not a big swing at all. Post in the probability forum to find out just how likely you are to regularly experience swings that size and larger.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I know it's not that big of a deal. Regardless, I'm trying to see what I can do to plug any holes I might have, as I know I've played some hands too hard. The 18BB is part of a larger swing, but still not that large compared to what I've heard around here (total swing is 45BB in 2 days).

Rob

tech
07-19-2004, 01:31 AM
In a full ring I tend to raise 99 or better and limp with the rest. There is no particular reason I guess -- just that I don't really feel like raising 88. Postflop, when you limp you are pretty much hoping to hit your set or flop an OESD. Depending on the texture of the flop and the action (or lack thereof), you might be able to steal some pots with baby pairs -- but it doesn't happen too often.

BTW, I know it sucks, but try not to get too bent out of shape about an 18BB downswing. I sometimes swing from +25BB to -25BB and back many times during a session (multitabling). It is just normal variance.

Entity
07-19-2004, 01:43 AM
What will you guys call a raise with, given that you have position, and you have no read on the person who raises you? Let's assume, for the example, 3 people cold-call, and it's a very loose table (trying to mimic what I've seen tonight; many people playing Axs, Kxs, Qxs, Jxs, any two connectors, etc.).

Rob

bisonbison
07-19-2004, 01:52 AM
Rob,

you really got to post specific hands (hopefully with specific player reads) to get quality responses. Otherwise, people are just batting around generalities. And be sure to ask people why when they give you responses to a hand. It helps everyone.