PDA

View Full Version : PStars NLHE double shootout: Outplayed, on tilt, or cold decked?

McMelchior
07-18-2004, 11:32 PM
Lately I’ve had the unpleasant experience of exiting a number of PokerStars WCOOP NLHE double shootouts like real fast. After playing NLHE sats for 3 years over the last half year I’ve finally been making a decent profit in the $20 - $30 cash one-table satellites, and I’ve been doing very well in the PL double shootouts – whether being Omaha 8 or Hold’Em. A very different story when it comes to those pesky NLHE ds ...

The competition seems increasingly abysmal, but they get me each and every time. In the hope that someone can help me determine if I have a huge leak in my game (or maybe several) or if I’m just running cold I’m posting the last $14+$1 double shootout I managed to exit on level One (1). I’m posting all hands I had chips at stake in. Here we go-------:

#5: I get to see a flop of 2h 5s Th for free 3-handed and holding 52. SB (who after the first 4 hands looks very much like a LAG) bets minimum, and I raise pot with bottom two pair. Both opponents fold. Up to T1,560.

#6: Limp in SB with Q7, fold to a pot-size bet on the J93r flop. Stack T1,540.

#7: Dealt AK on the button, three (3) MP/LP limpers to me. I raise to T140, only BB (who’s folded all hands so far) calls. Pot T350, Flop 7d 4h 8s, BB checks, I make a pot size bet, BB flat calls (alarm!) Turn 2h, we both check, river Qc, BB bets half pot, I fold. Down to T1,050.

#8: Dealt KQ in CO, EP raises and gets one caller, I call for T60, flop comes AcKcTd, I fold to a bet and a raise. I’m down to T990.

# 12: I limp in EP w/8h8c, button raises to T80, BB calls, I call. Flop AsKsAd, I check, preflop raiser bets T80 into the pot of T250, BB calls, I smell weak BS and raise to T320, preflop raiser folds, BB moves all-in, so much for that - I fold. Down to T590.

# 14: I’m dealt Qs7c in the BB, EP and CO limps, button raises to T60, I call (on tilt?), EP and CO call, all check the flop KcKsJc, I fold to a pot size bet and 2 (two!) calls on the 3c turn. Down to T530, I comfort myself that it’s still Level one (1) and I will have plenty of chances to recoup.

#15: Dealt Tc8d in SB, I fold to EP’s uncalled open/raise. Down to T520.

#17: Dealt AcKs in CO, EP (action player) raises to T60, I decide to flat call and see the flop, button calls, SB (LAG type) raises minimum to 100, EP call the raise, I decide it’s time to limit the field and move all-in on the for additional T420 (a tiny bit more than a pot-size raise), the button folds, SB calls, EP folds. He has a pair of 8s and hit a set on the flop, I’m out.

Obviously I’m looking at a lot of flops - 7 out of 17 – but with the cards I’m dealt (maybe except for Q7) and the low cost of seeing the flop it doesn’t seem unreasonable to me.

Am I on a tilt, or just unlucky? Comments are highly appreciated – thank you!

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)

durron597
07-19-2004, 12:47 AM
Two hands I don't like (I like your play on the rest of them).

[ QUOTE ]
# 12: I limp in EP w/8h8c, button raises to T80, BB calls, I call. Flop AsKsAd, I check, preflop raiser bets T80 into the pot of T250, BB calls, I smell weak BS and raise to T320, preflop raiser folds, BB moves all-in, so much for that - I fold. Down to T590.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't like this hand. It's still level 1, you don't need to make a move like this here; against a small bet and a cold caller, you are behind to somebody on that flop. I just fold here (if I didn't fold the 88 preflop; probably wouldn't do that though because of the multiway set payoff) and save my small stack for a better spot.

[ QUOTE ]

#17: Dealt AcKs in CO, EP (action player) raises to T60, I decide to flat call and see the flop, button calls, SB (LAG type) raises minimum to 100, EP call the raise, I decide it’s time to limit the field and move all-in on the for additional T420 (a tiny bit more than a pot-size raise), the button folds, SB calls, EP folds. He has a pair of 8s and hit a set on the flop, I’m out.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to come in firing with AK. I would push here with your stack (AK likes to be allin preflop since you get to see the turn and river for free if you are called). If you hadn't taken the hit in hand 12 I would raise to 150-180. If SB still wants to play you there's no way you aren't busting here, but he might fold 88 to a raise and a reraise.

eastbay
07-19-2004, 12:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Against a weak field I don't see any point in trying to sniff out a weak bet on a scary board. There's just easier ways to get your chips than that, and applying logic is a losing battle. Get back to zeroth-order basics of betting when you're strong and folding when you're vulnerable and I think you'll get better results.

[ QUOTE ]

# 14: I’m dealt Qs7c in the BB, EP and CO limps, button raises to T60, I call (on tilt?),

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, what the heck is that about?

Seems like playing tighter, more patiently, and more straightforwardly is your Rx.

eastbay

McMelchior
07-19-2004, 01:38 PM
Thanks for setting me straight on that, guys /images/graemlins/blush.gif ... I have no idea how I could completely forget to take it easier than easy at the early levels - that in itself used to constitute a winning strategy. Right Eastbay, back to zero-order betting!

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)

MercTec
07-19-2004, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
#8: Dealt KQ in CO, EP raises and gets one caller, I call for T60, flop comes AcKcTd, I fold to a bet and a raise. I’m down to T990.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think ya had a decent hand here. Middle pair with a good kicker and a gutshot. Not sure if you had any clubs though. The raise could have just been a semibluff at the flush or straight. Maybe a re-raise here to smell for strength rather than that 88 hand.

Stoneii
07-19-2004, 03:47 PM
There was a bet and then a raise before it got to him - you have to lay down 2nd pair here - gutshot or not - it's going to get awfully expensive to draw to it and u have to figure 1 of them for an Ace - high kicker which has u hung.

stoneii

gergery
07-19-2004, 04:09 PM
#7: If you were in the bigblind, and saw 3 limpers then a raise, what would you call with? KK-77 and AK-AQs maybe. I figure a PP more likely than suited big cards and I’d take a free card. I’m not sure 99-AA will fold to your bet here.

#8: You are clearly behind vs. range of hands an EP raiser will play. Big trouble vs. AA/KK/QQ or AK/AQ, behind vs. AJ, and only even money vs. JJ,TT,99, 88. Fold preflop.

#12: Maybe this works vs. one player, but against two its riskier since so many people will play any ace. Any other cards that the board pairs and maybe you can try this.

#14: Don’t like this call out of position. Yes you’re getting good odds, but what flop can you like unless its two pair or trips, which happen once in like 80x?

Rest look good to me

Back to basics sounds like good advice.

--Greg