PDA

View Full Version : Quickie: AJs PF

Ralph Wiggum
07-18-2004, 10:50 PM
Live 6/12

New game, it's like the 3rd or 4th hand.

10-handed
UTG raises, 2 call, to Hero w/ AJs in CO-1 (or CO maybe): Fold, Call, Re-Raise?

Barry
07-18-2004, 11:28 PM
With 2 callers I'm playing this hand, unless UTG is a total rock. Since I have position, I'm 3-betting.

Of course 3-betting PF, does not obligate me to bet the flop if I whiff.

StellarWind
07-18-2004, 11:35 PM
If you play at all, coldcall and hope for more callers. You are looking for a really good flop that you can play against a crowd.

I fold due to insufficient callers in front of me. I also think we are too far from the button to be messing around.

Ralph Wiggum
07-18-2004, 11:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I also think we are too far from the button to be messing around.

[/ QUOTE ]
After thinking about it, I'm 80% sure that I was the CO.

SpaceAce
07-18-2004, 11:49 PM
I like calling and trying to bring the button and blinds along for the ride.

SpaceAce

sfer
07-19-2004, 12:29 AM
I call intending to bring along the blinds and also intending to flop two jacks.

Barry
07-19-2004, 12:32 AM
I'd rather have the button and blinds fold.

Ralph Wiggum
07-19-2004, 12:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather have the button and blinds fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is that the reason for 3-betting? My thinking is that I call, and hoping to intice the button & blinds to come along, giving me odds for my nut flush draw. Then with 5 or 6 players, I have a nicer pot in case I need to draw to my flush. However, if I 3-bet, I may be behind and facing a cap. In that case, I need to probably hit the flop pretty hard to win.

Ralph Wiggum
07-19-2004, 12:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I fold due to insufficient callers in front of me.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was going to originally leave only the cold call or reraise options. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

MarkL444
07-19-2004, 01:04 AM
Call

Mark

Jdanz
07-19-2004, 12:36 PM
you need to hit this flop hard to play confidently (i.e. high card of j or a flush draw) why risk the reraise to destroy your implied odds for the flush draw. I think this is more of a decision between fold/call then call/reraise, and i generally hate coldcalling, that being said you have little to gain here by raising and a lot to lose, best to see if you hit the j or the flush draw. (and to not piss off ed miller, i'm not saying you fold if an ace comes, just that you like a j better.)

-JDanz

lil'
07-19-2004, 01:33 PM
that being said you have little to gain here by raising and a lot to lose
Well, risking one extra SB is not really a lot to lose. Besides, raising does several things for you, like giving you position, and in a live game, it might very well get the flop checked to you no matter what. If it does get capped pre-flop, that's useful information as well.

I understand the rationale behind cold-calling this, but 3-betting is not crazy either.

Jdanz
07-19-2004, 02:05 PM
i don't think it's crazy at all, just marginally wrong. It has the advantages you mentioned but it also has a fairly high chance of being behind with a raise and two callers, not that it neccisarily is but more likely then usual. All in all a raise isn't terrible, but i like a call better.

-JDanz

Barry
07-19-2004, 03:28 PM
Maybe UTG will cap it maybe not, if he doesn't you have a good chance of having the flop checked to you and getting a free card, if you need it. If he does, you have also gained some information about his hand.