PDA

View Full Version : who likes this 1k bet?

glen
07-18-2004, 10:27 PM
I am weighing in at just under 190 these days. Glenn was like 145 trying to shed the pencil-neck geek physique, so he started lifting. . . here's the bet. I have to get below 160 in 4 months, and he has to powerlift 315 in 4 months. He does around 250 now. . . If one fails and one succeeds, the loser owes the winner 1k. If we both win, then we both just rule and are masters of our domains. If we both fail, then we just suck, and. . . well maybe we should both donate 1k for a freeroll heads up match between jv and diablo. . . hmmm, nah. We should do something punishing though if we both fail. Suggestions?

mike l.
07-18-2004, 10:36 PM
"We should do something punishing though if we both fail. Suggestions?"

anal prison sex.

how tall are you if you want to drop from 190 to 160?

Oski
07-18-2004, 11:09 PM
30 pounds in 3 months is a pretty tough nut. I think its easier to increase strength than lose weight, especially with all the supplements on the market.

- Your best hope is for a push.

Alobar
07-18-2004, 11:13 PM
He took a total sucker bet, If you cant weigh in at under 160 you are doing something terribly wrong. Diet and exercise (im assuming you must be a little overweight?) alone should get you damn near there. And if you arnt quite there you can easily shed 10-15 poinds by doing a liquid diet for a couple days before the weigh in.

He should prolly be able to maybe do his in 4 months as well, but its going to be alot more work for him than it will you.

nef
07-18-2004, 11:16 PM
What is a power lift? A Power Clean? I was a powerlifter, but that involves three lifts. If it is a real lift (not some machine lift or simple movement like shrug or calf raise) it sounds like an easy win for you. If I was going to make this bet I would set some sort of performance criteria for what constitutes a successfully completed lift. For example in the squat there is a big difference in the amount of weight one can lift if they squat 75% down versus all the way down. Many lifters (intentionally or unintentionally) find ways to cheat at lifts.

Glenn
07-18-2004, 11:27 PM
I think all of you people have never wrestled/boxed/etc... You can lose 20 lbs in a week. I can lose 20 lbs in a week and last i checked I was 157/9.5%bf. He doesn't have to actually lose close to 30 lbs to win the bet since he can shed all kind of water/etc at the last minute. One month to lose the weight and keeping it off for 3 months is much better. As far as my end goes, honestly it is pretty easy, assuming I don't suffer some sort of injury. I don't know what my 1RM for dead and squat are right now, as I am not training for that, and I just started doing regular deads again this week, but 315 really isn't very far off. The point is I don't see how I could win the bet, so there is really nothing in it for me. The real point for him is motivation, but my scrawny ass is already at the gym 4-5 days a week so all I'm looking for here is EV, or at least the thrill of victory...

Glenn
07-18-2004, 11:31 PM
It would be a 315 squat to parallel and a 315 deadlift. The reason the word powerlift was involved is I originally wanted to just do the 3 lifts total weight. I don't cheat on my squats (well not much /images/graemlins/smile.gif). I hate the guy that comes in and puts 4 plates on each side and then makes funny noises while he does 40 degree reps. But for anyone curious I currently have not taking the bet, and am leaning towards not taking it.

Alobar
07-18-2004, 11:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so all I'm looking for here is EV, or at least the thrill of victory...

[/ QUOTE ]

You're knowledgable enough to know him losing 30 pounds is cake (which I agree it is) and yet you still take the bet? definately doesnt sound like +EV to me

Glenn
07-18-2004, 11:36 PM
I didn't take the bet...melvin Glen just made it sound like I did. I am still considering. The X-factor is his laziness...1k might not be enough to motivate him /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

nef
07-18-2004, 11:46 PM
Well that is a noble goal, and 315 in both lifts is a great achievement, especially at 157. Good luck. I wouldn't take the bet though.

Rick Diesel
07-19-2004, 08:06 AM
Don't take the bet! There is a much better chance that you will fail than he will, for one simple fact, potential injury. There is not much that could happen to him that would prevent him from losing the weight, but a simple injury could prevent you from lifting the weight.

On a side note, a friend and I had a similar bet about two years ago. The bet was to see who had the highest % of bench press divided by body weight. We had six months to train. About two months before the end, I had an emergency appendectomy. Needless to say, I lost the bet. Good thing there was only $50 and a round of golf on the line.

Rick Diesel

Tim W.
07-19-2004, 10:27 AM
Glen,
Get a job.

- Tim