PDA

View Full Version : 20-40 game with a bounty

03-13-2002, 03:25 PM
Hello fellow players. Just was writing on this subject, I was playing in a WILD WILD 20-40 game. (BTW I just recently got divorced and am playing alot, about 40-50 hours a week...got stuck 4 dimes in this game though...lol) But anyway..I was playing in this game with a couple good friends, and one of them asks me.." hey mike..how about lets put a bounty out on 7-2, any of us who takes down a pot with 7-2 the others pay him $500"

I thought well hell thats pretty interesting, ought to make the game quite interesting so what the F***...ok.

I am curious as to your take on this matter, I realize this is a huge gamble, but it is pretty fun (Any time they raise you almost have to call them down with even q high) How would you best vary your stratagy for this type of endevor. We had 5 people in on the bounty so you get 2 dimes for even bluffing the blinds out with 7-2, but you can also lose a bundle protecting yourself, and pushing that hand pretty hard.

But anyway just curious on anyone take...thanks

03-13-2002, 03:39 PM
your friends are nuts.

anyway, bet and raise with 72o at every oppurtunity.

03-13-2002, 04:31 PM
I don't want to rain on your parade too much, but I think this is an unethical bet because of how it affects other players. I realize it may make the game better because you are going to play 7-2, but it makes your decisions artificial because you have such a big side bet. I mean, if you can pressure the blinds you win 2K. The odds you are getting to artificially pick on another player, particularly one with a short stack are overwhelming. As you say it also makes it necessary for your friends to call you down more which affects other players in the hand. It puts a player in a pot with you at a disadvantage because he can't win by stealing as easily, has less chance to win because he will have to beat more hands against him, and gives your friends artificial odds to draw against him. I hope you disclose the bet to all the others, but I would not allow the bet if I were the floor. I don't want to be nitty about the bet, but it kind of bothers me. Sorry.

03-13-2002, 04:34 PM
Yes, I agree with you, that if the other players do not know about it that it would be bad. But we did let everyone know about it, and there were no objections..(It was that kind of action game...lol...actually they loved the action it made.) But thank you for bringing that point up.

03-13-2002, 04:41 PM

03-13-2002, 06:11 PM
ive heard about this, but usually all players at the table are participants.

brad

03-14-2002, 01:41 AM
I cannot imagine why you recently got divorced.

03-14-2002, 07:19 AM
Take any seat change which allows you to have 2 players not participating in the bounty seated on your left. Now pray you get a 72 on your button. /images/wink.gif

BTW, you guys should modify your bet so that you have to beat one of the other guys participating in the bounty in order to win the bet. Otherwise the strategy I suggested should give anyone in a position to use it a pretty substantial advantage, by allowing them to bully players unconcerned with losing to a 72.

Really, you should just not make the bet in the first place. Head out to the pit and throw some dice if you feel the need to gamble without an edge. The size of your side bet will dominate your playing strategy too much for you to play poker sensibly, and the players not involved at all in your side bet will be the only ones receiving a bounty.