PDA

View Full Version : Wham Bam Thank-you Ma'am

naphand
07-18-2004, 12:05 PM
PokerRoom and it must be Friday /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Button is loose and unpredictably aggro. I have been raising a lot of hands recently, and his limp-3-bet looked like a frustrated attempt to stop me. I was not too concerned by it. I figured it had to be something of a hand (A, good suited K or PP), it turned out to be a typical Party-moron-reactionary move.

PokerRoom Texas Hold'em $1-$2 (real money)

naphand is SB with A /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/heart.gif

PRE-FLOP
UTG folds, MP folds, Button calls, naphand raises, BB calls, Button 3-bets, naphand calls, BB calls.

FLOP (8.5 SB): 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gifK /images/graemlins/heart.gifA /images/graemlins/club.gif
naphand checks, BB checks, Button checks. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

TURN (4.25 BB) Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif
naphand bets, BB folds, Button raises, naphand 3-bets, Button caps, naphand calls.

RIVER (12 BB): 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
naphand bets, Button raises, naphand 3-bets, Button caps, naphand calls.

Results in white below:
<font color="white">Button shows As4s
naphand shows AhJh

Button wins 19.75 BB</font>

The question on my mind is, given the Turn cap, and the board pairing can I realistically slow down to the River raise?

PS
It's traditional to eat fish on Friday here in GB, today there were too many bones and I was choking....

T0asty
07-18-2004, 12:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
PS
It's traditional to eat fish on Friday here in GB, today there were too many bones and I was choking....

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, thats one of the nights I can't play, I'll usually play Mon/Thur night and Sat/Sun day. I'm usually always playing off-peak /images/graemlins/frown.gif

How fishy is it on a Friday Naphand ?

naphand
07-18-2004, 01:02 PM
Cough...cough

Today is Sunday, but there were a lot of fish, and so it seemed like it was fry-day (the traditional day to eat fish).

Man, my jokes must be bad when they have to be explained.... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

chezlaw
07-18-2004, 06:59 PM
Hi Naphand

Looks like one of stripsqueez's monster checks. I think his shown enough strength to convince me his got the full house and I would just call the river raise.

Seeing the results I think he thought he was performing a monster check and got very lucky.

Frying tonight

chez

Guido
07-19-2004, 11:30 AM
I bet the flop. Did you went for a check-raise? If so, why?
Turn is normal, I call a river raise, especially since he limp-raised PF.

Guido

naphand
07-19-2004, 01:15 PM
I had little doubt that his limp-reraise was a reaction to my constantly raising him (recently). I was immediately to his left. This time he had a hand that was not complete trash and decided to "teach me a lesson"... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

On Party the most common limp-re-raise I used to see was with low suited Aces. It's like, they limp along as usual but this time with dreams of the nut-flush instead of the usual any-2-suited garbage, then get raised and suddenly think "I'm going for it".

I had absolutely no-reason to put him on AA or QQ, but it is possible of course, though I suspect he raises these up front or slow plays them.

Obviously on the Turn I am happy to pile in the chips. I think his flop check and then Turn cap looks like an underflush, as I could not believe he would cap this with 2-pair and the flush card hitting, esp the A. I paused for a moment on the River when it paired, and when I 3-bet immediately thought it was quite possibly wrong. His cap and "bugger" he had to have it.

Against a big fish like this player, I still don't know if not capping is right, when the limp-reraise likely means very little. I should have considered the 3-bet more carefully, as he has to have something good; AQ, A4, QQ, AA, JT or underflush in that order (I think, based on the limp-reraise). It looks about 50:50 to me. You just cannot put these guys on a sensible re-raise (except Party - I would almost certainly have put him on Axs, which means no underflush).

I think I was playing OK, but maybe just lost focus a little here at the prospect of caning him with the nut-flush, to his dumb PF re-raise. Tsk-tsk. Unfortunately, it was not to be my day. This 3-outer was the difference between just-better-than breakeven day and a 5BB/100 day, well this and 3 or 4 others like it... /images/graemlins/mad.gif

naphand
07-19-2004, 01:21 PM
Actaully I cannot remember if I was intending to CR or just call. As he made the 3-bet PF I was fully expecting a bet, normally I bet out as the aggressor, this time I figured he could take on the mantle and I can pick my raise. Probably wrong, as BB obviously calls 1 bet here, and if he raises I am happy to 3-bet (if BB calls one, then he calls 2).

Don't know why I didn't bet out here, though I suspect as I had been raising a lot PF and always betting out, this might be a good spot to change the tempo, with a hand that is good but also with a big draw. Even in somewhat fishy games I don't want to play hands the same way all day.