PDA

View Full Version : Was this dangerous?

Riposte
07-18-2004, 08:28 AM
I raised the flop, but I'm not entirely sure why. I guess it was to get the BB to fold, by continuing to show strength after my preflop raise. Pretty stupid?

I should be making moves for clear reasons, right? The only reason I did it was because it "felt right". Should I have just called him?

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (4.40 SB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (4.20 BB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (6.20 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 8.20 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 8.20 BB, between Hero and BB.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (8.20 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB shows Jh Jc (two pair, jacks and fours).
Hero shows As Qs (two pair, queens and fours).
Outcome: Hero wins 8.20 BB. </font>

Piiop
07-18-2004, 08:54 AM
You played the hand perfectly.

You should definitely not just call here. You might still have the best hand. You can bet the turn unimproved, then check behind on the river unimproved. Or, if you improve, you can bet both times. If you were to raise preflop and fold headsup on the flop, that would be very, very bad.

You should also make note of how Mr. Superweak played his JJ

Riposte
07-18-2004, 09:02 AM
Should my opponent 3-bet the flop with his jacks? I mean if I were him, and I saw my opponent raise preflop and raise the flop, I wouldn't want to 3-bet because I might be up against AA, KK, or QQ and already be beat.

If the JJ guy should have 3-bet the flop, what's the reasoning? Anything else he should have done differently (3-bet preflop)? Thanks!

Piiop
07-18-2004, 09:13 AM
The BB should've 3-bet preflop and 3-bet the flop then bet the turn.

You raised from the button, so you could (should) have a wide range of hands. JJ is the 4th best hand you can have preflop. You should 3-bet from the BB here everytime. The flop is very good for JJ - all undercards, headsup, no real draws.

If you think he would put you on AA/KK/QQ then you need to be raising a lot more hands. If you were in his place and would put the preflop raiser on AA/KK/QQ, then you're thinking is waaaay waaay too weak-tight. You should be raising from late position with basically any pair, most Aces, anytwo broadway, and a couple more. (Note: this is not concrete, just trying to show that you should be open-raising from the button with a LOT of hands.)