PDA

View Full Version : This was a fun spot to be in...

bernie
07-18-2004, 07:50 AM
Mucks 4-8. In the bullpen waiting for my seat on 10-20.

9 handed...

I limp behind 1 limper somewhere in EP/EMP with A4s

I think all but one limped to Loose Passive SB who raises. We all call. Did i mention this is a great game?

Flop A K 4 2 tone. The K isnt even close to my suit.

SB bets out, 2 callers, i raise, 1 caller, SB 3 bets, 2 callers. I...?

b

Rico Suave
07-18-2004, 10:34 AM
bernie:

[ QUOTE ]
Loose Passive SB who raises

[/ QUOTE ]

Call the flop 3-bet and fold the turn unless it is a 4.

--Rico

SpaceAce
07-18-2004, 10:08 PM
Exactly how passive is the small blind? If he is a genuinely passive player, I think you should call and be ready to fold the turn. However, I disagree with Rico Suave's statement that you should only continue if you catch a four. With the amount of money already in the pot and the silly callers tagging along, I think it's worth taking Aces full to the river for the times the small blind is going to have KK.

SpaceAce

stir
07-19-2004, 09:32 AM
Then you are saying call the flop and fold the turn unless the turn card is a 4 or A?

Rico Suave
07-19-2004, 09:43 AM
SpaceAce:

[ QUOTE ]
However, I disagree with Rico Suave's statement that you should only continue if you catch a four. With the amount of money already in the pot and the silly callers tagging along, I think it's worth taking Aces full to the river

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I admit I could not fold the turn if it were an ace.

--Rico

bernie
07-19-2004, 10:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I admit I could not fold the turn if it were an ace

[/ QUOTE ]

This can also depend on the action on the turn, can't it?

I made the mistake of folding the flop. I let my read dominate my thinking. I should've called then folded the turn unless a 4 hit or an A, as Rico and others stated. Action on the turn depending.

But i was thinking how to figure the overlay should i be drawing near dead. Generally speaking. I essentially have a PKT pair, 2 outs. My A couts could be gone. It's 60% whether he has AK over AA/KK. 10% he has AA. So in this case, would i add say at least 10% to my odds that i need to see the turn? Say i figure it's 22-1 to see one card. (say im in a situation where i need a 4 to keep it simple for this question) Wouldn't i then need need 24/25-1 in overall odds including possible implied odds? Meaning 22 + 10%. If it was a 40% i was drawing dead, wouldn't it be about 31-1? 22 + 40% See what i'm trying to convey?

Anyways, for those who may wonder about the hand. The hand went to showdown and the SB showed AK for 2 pair that dragged the pot. A 4 never came. Again, I should've called.

b

wayabvpar
07-19-2004, 07:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Loose Passive SB who raises.

[/ QUOTE ]

Through trading some PMs, bernie and I have discovered that this was me...small world!

Curious about your read- was I really playing that loosely? I can see passive- been a while since I had played live and was still trying to get comfortable, so I was a little unsure early on. I certainly have played better (it was my worst session out of 4 or 5 visits to Muck- +$38). Would love to hear some critiques of my play if you remember anything specific.

Any thoughts on how I played the hand? Should I have smooth called the flop raise and check raised the turn? I was sweating the flush draw...although the pot was big enough by then for any 2 card flush draws to hang on to the bitter end, I felt like I should at least charge them to draw (3rd spade did hit, on the river IIRC, but MHIG).

bernie
07-19-2004, 07:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Curious about your read- was I really playing that loosely? I can see passive- been a while since I had played live and was still trying to get comfortable, so I was a little unsure early on.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may have had the right hands to play when you were limping. But then, everyone was playing pretty loose. I'd guess you were fine with the hands you played. I think you got up and took a break for a bit too. I didn't see you showdown too much so i don't know what hands you were playing enough to really critique.

The passive part: That was the first raise i'd seen you put in preflop in about an hour, if at all. But then you raised about 3-4 hands later. I was off doing something so i didn't see what you had. I did notice that you were getting quite a bit of action.

[ QUOTE ]
Any thoughts on how I played the hand? Should I have smooth called the flop raise and check raised the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, im the one who screwed the hand up. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I think you played it fine. I was about the only one who left on the flop. I dont think anyone would've bet if you went for the c/r on the turn. The person who would've done it was me. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif And i was out of the hand. But you may not have known if i may have taken a free card on the turn or not.

[ QUOTE ]
(3rd spade did hit, on the river IIRC, but MHIG).

[/ QUOTE ]

Did it? I couldn't remember. I didn't think it did, but you're probably right. I thinkn you'd know better than me since you had a hand that far into it. I think you bet the river, didn't you?

I just remember the huge pot. Im getting used to see those go across the table away from me. My old chips flipping me off along the way.

b

wayabvpar
07-20-2004, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Did it? I couldn't remember. I didn't think it did, but you're probably right.

[/ QUOTE ]

It may have been the turn card. I bet out and got a caller or two with no raises; at that point, I was praying that no one was holding two spades and letting me bet their hand for them. When a 4th spade didn't hit the river, I felt pretty safe and bet out again.

You were absolutely right about my passivity...I was thinking back on it after I read your comment, and there were a few hands that I would normally raise with online but didn't there. I specifically remember limping from the SB with AT and AJ (one of them was suited, but I can't remember which). IIRC, my 'logic' was that my post flop position was going to be a problem if the flop totally missed me.

Hopefully we will get a chance to play together again- having someone with your experience critique my play is invaluable. I appreciate it!

bernie
07-20-2004, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You were absolutely right about my passivity...I was thinking back on it after I read your comment, and there were a few hands that I would normally raise with online but didn't there.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was lots of action to be gotten on that table. As i mentioned, i was likely the only one to notice you hadn't raised in awhile.

[ QUOTE ]
my 'logic' was that my post flop position was going to be a problem if the flop totally missed me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Value bet and take the free cards. Or position raise the flop for the free cards.

[ QUOTE ]
having someone with your experience critique my play is invaluable. I appreciate it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. Now if my play can just emerge and take a peak over the toilet bowl...

But then an ass keeps slamming me back down. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I hope ta see ya there again.

b