PDA

View Full Version : Stealing blinds

03-12-2002, 05:37 PM
A couple of days ago, I was at a table for a short time when I got Ah3h in the small blind. Everyone folded to the button who had been raising a lot of hands (but I hadn't seen any of the hands that he had been raising with). The button (surprise) raised. Should I have folded here?

03-12-2002, 06:06 PM
At least you had him on your right. I say you need more of a read on him to decide what to really do. Also - can you outplay him if you miss?

~D

03-12-2002, 06:48 PM
If he is raising a lot of hands maybe reraise him.

D.

03-12-2002, 07:36 PM
Loose raisers will always raise in this situation, regardless of their holdings. I'd re-raise to get it heads-up and outplay him. If the BB calls, then you'll have to drop if you miss the flop.

Back to battle,

Riker

03-12-2002, 08:26 PM
Someone else mentioned the term "outplaying" and I don't see why you feel this is so important. Ace-high is a big hand against a loose button steal. Barring a very scary board, you should take your ace to the river against this type virutally every time.

03-13-2002, 12:04 AM
If I play from the small blind against a possible steal raiser, I will generally reraise to get out the big blind. I'm more inclined to play (and thus reraise) if I know the "stealer" plays worse than I do. Since he's going to be in late position every time you have the blinds, might not be a bad idea to 3-bet here. You're not giving up much if you fold, but I'd let this guy know at the beginning I don't muck all the time.

03-13-2002, 12:32 AM
reraise.

when its folded to at least the CO, then shorthanded play can take precedent. and Axs is playable. i believe i read that in HFAP somewhere. may have been feeneys book. one of the 2.

b

03-13-2002, 11:44 AM
"Should I have folded here?"

Yes, if there is a chance you would fold before the river headsup.

No, if you're geared up to put in a stack and see who wins.

Tommy

03-13-2002, 06:22 PM
Good response, Tommy. Too many people call out of the sb with the Ah3h and then checkfold when the flop comes KT4 'cause it looks so scary. Well, it is somewhat scary but if the button is truly raising everytime to steal blinds, he will only hit a pair about a third of the time (slightly more than usual given that you have missed pairing). So, you simply can't checkfold the flop here; if that is your intention, you may as well fold preflop.

03-13-2002, 11:15 PM
You definitely do not want to call. Folding won't cost you anything but if you have established a reputation as someone who is not a blind defender and he has established a reputation as an automatic late position raiser, I have found that a three bet and dark/instant bet on flop will often win the pot right there. Of course all of this depends alot on what type of opponent you are up against. If he is really maniacal I would be more inclined to fold since he probably will reraise you and not even have noticed how many times you have folded on your blinds.

-potmo