PDA

View Full Version : New to Multitabling

durron597
07-18-2004, 01:46 AM
So I've been looking at my numbers at the $10+1s, and so far I'm happy with them; well, all but one number: $/hr. Now while my results aren't large enough to be truly statistically significant, they are enough to satisfy me. Now I would like to take the next step and start playing multiple tables at a time, but I am not confident about my ability to do that and still play just as well as I do now. The other option is move up to the $20+2s, but because I haven't proven to myself statistically that I can beat the $10+1s, and that my bankroll isn't big enough, I'm not ready for that yet.

So I ask all those experienced multitablers, how do you get practice being good at it? I was thinking about going to play money for awhile and just playing three of those at a time until I got used to it, but that seems like a pretty sizeable waste of time (since the environment there is so different). Also, how do you decide when to add the next table? I've had 1 MTT window and 1 SnG HU window open at the same time and I feel like I tend to make mistakes if I have to play two hands simultaneously; I get the urge to go allin if I like my hand or fold if I don't just so I can concentrate on the other hand without really thinking it through. Having two shorthanded situations at once right now for me would be brutal. Any advice on anything mentioned here would be appreciated.

woodguy
07-18-2004, 02:03 AM
It all depends on what you are comfortable with.
Your ITM's and ROI will drop with added tables, but $/hr will go up if you are a winning player.

You need to find the level where you find the law of diminishing returns kicks in and you are no longer making more $$$.

Personally, I start with 1 table then add another when I get near the end of level 2 (helps keep my sanity when the tables get shorthanded)
This usually gets me to 3-4 tables, which is the level I like.

There are people in this forum who will multi-table up to 8 at once, but that is a level I could never get comfortable with.

Like most poker questions, the answer is, it depends. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

regards,
woodguy

serling
07-18-2004, 02:23 AM
Hi durron --

I'm now comfortable enough to do four -- either all SnGs, or a combination of SnGs, ring, and multi tourneys.

If all SnGs, I tend to do two at once, wait a level or so, then add two more. Sometimes I'll add all four at the same time, since each pace is different anyway.

Try two and see what you think. It's a bit overwhelming at first, but you quickly get used to it (particularly if you can display all the tables with no overlap). I'm seldom heads-up on two tables simultaneously, but it's happened.

serling

Zaebos
07-18-2004, 02:49 AM
how can u display multiple tables w/o overlap

SumZero
07-18-2004, 03:18 AM
At first I thought it was crazy to do multiple tables. But I found it actually was pretty easy to adapt. It is harder to know what all the opponents at your tables do at the start (and who the crazies are), but by the time you get short handed you get a decent feel. Having the multiple tables not overlap much definitely helps (if you have a high resolution monitor).

I personally like starting 3 SNGs at once... but I start each sit and go where I am either the first or second player to sit at the table. On UB this means that each SNG generally ends up starting 3-4 minutes after the last. I find this time lag to be enough that I tend not to be heads up on multiple tables too often, and at the same time the blind levels are always close to the same, which helps with the decisions a little.

I say go for it. Start with two and after a few add a third. I think you'll adapt and find it not too hard.

maddo
07-18-2004, 07:50 AM
You need to run at a higher resolution. I run 1600x1200 and can run 4 UB tables with no overlap (although I don't). Of course UB lets you run the tables in MiniView(TM) so in theory I guess I could run about 10 concurrently. You need the right video card/monitor combo to run at the higher resolutions.