PDA

View Full Version : home tourney help needed

Navers
07-18-2004, 12:55 AM
I play in a $5 NL home game tournament style that starts with T500 and blinds of 5/10. Top 2 get paid.Blinds increase every 35-40 minutes, but usually dont exceed 25/50 until heads up. This is a loose-passive game, average of 4 people to a flop per hand (out of 8 total). Preflop raises come about 35% of the time roughly. What would be the best strategy for this game? Should I be aggressive early or let the tiny blinds eat at me until I get a good hand? Also, what kinds of hands should I be playing? The last question is extremely important because I found myself folding hands that many others at the table would be playing. Nobody played the 93offsuits, but people would limp with AX, 8-9o, two suited cards, basically stuff that only a dealer in a full-table should be playing.

Also, I was getting crappy hands in the beginning of the tournament, and I was overly aggressive IMO on this hand. Please tell me how and where I messed up.

Me: A : /images/graemlins/club.gif10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif in MP, with T~370

EP calls, EMP calls, I raise to T40 (blinds are 10/20), Button calls, EP & EMP call.

Flop: K /images/graemlins/club.gif, 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif
Everyone knows I'm tight so I bet T50 representing the king after EMP and EP check. Only Button calls. Now I'm thinking button has a king.

Turn: 10 /images/graemlins/club.gif
I bet T200 (as I write this I see how dumb and desperate I was). I was hoping for an immediate fold, and if not, I still have a nut flush draw. Button calls

River: 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
I check, Button puts me all-in, I call knowing T~80 can't get me anywhere. I flip over 2nd pair and Button flips over K /images/graemlins/heart.gif10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif That's it for me. I had been playing for about 2 hours and the best hand I got was that A10o, other than that I received QJo once, 6's once , 9-10offsuit, AX, and crap. Do I have a chance in hell for aggressiveness to pay off, or is this me not noticing that I went on tilt?

Any input at all would be appreciated.

PITTM
07-18-2004, 01:43 AM
i would say, as in any no limit format, start pretty tight with your starting hand selection and loosen up as the blinds rise and people begin to get knocked out. play suited connectors, any 2 broadway cards together and any AXs i would say, steal when you see a hand is weak, blah blah blah. good luck

rj