PDA

View Full Version : Cold Cards, what can I expect?

Seether
07-17-2004, 10:44 PM
I have just recently it a fairly dry spell of cards. I have been playing "seriously" for about 8 weeks now (averaging 4-8 hours a day multi tabling 3 6 or 5 10) and I have a good amount of money ( roughly 7,000) in this period of time, and while i have had a few -500$ swings I have not had any serious downturns....up until now....Im currently in an approxamently 1,000 downswing while playing limit. It has been a combination of cold cards, not hitting flops, and getting sucked out on when I do hit some cards. Now this isnt meant to be a whine because I know it is part of the game, but I am curious on how long these bad swings can last? I dont feel that my play style has been changed, due to the cold cards my flops seen are signifigantly lower etc.... An example of recent party poker session stats was 233 hands played 4% hands won with 14% of flops being seen while playing 2 3 6 tables.

Anyways, Im looking at this positively because Ive taken some breaks from limit and Ive done very well in the 1 table and 3 table sngs, so my roll hasnt taken all that much of a hit overall.

Thanks for any input.
Jake

balkii
07-17-2004, 11:54 PM
search for a post by Homer called "Streaks"

fsuplayer
07-18-2004, 01:19 AM
Also see Schenids' journal in the general forum.
His final journal up right now has a link to all his previous ones where he discusses his daily and weekly swings, which can be pretty intense, esp. in limit.

good luck, hope things turn around,

fsuplayer

tech
07-18-2004, 03:49 AM
Sounds like you have been running fairly good so far. Downswings of 200BB or more are not uncommon.

thehip75
07-18-2004, 06:22 AM
I don't want to discourage you too much, but David Ross posted a streak of about 45,000 hands (three weeks)where he didn't make any money.

My longest so far is only about 15,000 hands where I break even. My overall win rate is over 3 BB/100 hands at 2/4 and 3/6.

Hope this helps.

Seether
07-18-2004, 06:58 AM
Thanks a lot for all the info. Ive played some more limit and the streak has continued for the most part. Im basically breaking even at this point. However my streak has really gotten me to playing some SNGs and ive played about 5 20+2s, 5 10+1s and 2 30+3 3tables and ive been itm in over 80% of them so my BR has grown a little despite some losses at 5-10.